St. Moritz

Grand Hotel des Bains Kempinski St. Moritz
9 September 2022
Lot 110

1958 Maserati 450S Recreation

{{lr.item.text}}

CHF770,000 | Sold

Switzerland | St. Moritz, Switzerland

{{internetCurrentBid}}

{{internetTimeLeft}}


language
Chassis No.
4511
Documents
Swiss Carte Grise
  • A detailed and exacting recreation of Maserati’s legendary sports car, built using many factory-made parts and based on original technical drawings
  • Powered by a correct-type 4.5-litre Maserati V-8 fed by four Weber 46 IDA carburettors, mated to a five-speed transaxle with dual-range high-speed overdrive
  • Recognised by the Maserati Club with an accompanying historic register certificate
  • Participated in several events, including the Bernina Gran Turismo, Vernasca Silver Flag, and the Ennstal Classic

Addendum: Please note that according to marque historian, Richard Crump, the chassis for this 450S Recreation was commissioned by Stephen Forristall and constructed in England. Furthermore, an oil leak on this car will be rectified at the seller’s cost post-sale. The lot can be collected after the repair work.

Dappled sunlight dancing across blood-red aluminium bodywork; the visceral scent of burning rubber and simmering engine oil; the animalistic howl of eight perfectly synchronised cylinders screaming in your ears. Nothing comes close to a flat-out drive in an original Maserati 450S—or almost nothing.

When it comes to recreations, few are as evocative of the original machine’s spirit as this 450S, a replica of Maserati’s famous 1950s World Sportscar Championship contender brought to life in the Belgium-based Apal workshops of Edmond Pery. The origins of chassis “4511” can be traced back to Houston-based collector of Italian exotics, Stephen Forristall and one-time owner of the ex-Kimberly 450S. According to marque historian Richard Crump, Forristall commissioned the construction of a replica chassis in England and it is believed that this chassis was sold as "4511" to Pery in 1992; an invoice describing the sale accompanies the car.

Parts for the project were obtained from as far afield as Italy and Germany, including some period items that are said by the consignor to have been made by the Maserati factory, among them, the correct-type drivetrain with transaxle gearbox. The clutch housing includes a step-down two-speed overdrive like that used by Stirling Moss during the 1957 Mille Miglia. The brake drums, De Dion rear axle, fuel and oil tanks, and steering box are also said to be original Maserati parts. An additional fuel tank, like that used at Le Mans, accompanies the car but is not installed.

The hand-crafted aluminium bodywork was created for the replica by Autorestauro di Giordanengo Giovanni & Figli which, according to invoices present in the history file, also supplied other components, including a 450S engine, front and rear suspension, and a set of Borrani wheels. Intriguingly, a 450S chassis is also referenced, though this may be attributed to work carried out on the frame sourced from the United States. The work is outlined in several invoices dating from October 1993 to July 1996, with accompanying photographic record.

The Maserati is thought to have once been fitted with engine number 4527—a Type 59 marine variant that was damaged in 2001 during an event at Montlhéry. It was subsequently replaced with an engine that was claimed to be sourced via Autorestauro di Giordanengo from an Italian collector, and which was subsequently overhauled by Modena Motori with new bearings and connecting rods before being reassembled by Pery to 4.5-litre specification, using a donor head on one bank of cylinders. This block of unknown origin bears the same serial number as another 450S engine—4511. Built by the factory but not assigned to a chassis in period, the original 4511, a 5.7-litre variant, is known to have been fitted to chassis 4508—the highly regarded Scuderia Temple Buell 450S—mid-way through Carroll Shelby’s 1958 season, where it remains to this day.

Bought by the consignor from its constructor on 12 May 2005, chassis “4511” is said to have been the subject of a painstaking mechanical rebuild by renowned specialist Cav. Antonio Costantini of Zurich between 2007 to 2009, including a comprehensive overhaul of the brakes, differential, dual-range overdrive, and transmission. A handbrake was also fitted using two brake discs attached to the rear half shafts. Christen AG in Niederhasli, Switzerland adjusted the position of the headlights, fitted headlamp covers, and resprayed the car in its current shade of red. A photographic record of the restoration work is included in the history file.

Road registered in Switzerland with “Veteran” status, this remarkable recreation has been used in several events, including the Bernina Gran Turismo, Vernasca Silver Flag, and the Ennstal Classic, where the late Sir Stirling Moss enjoyed a spirited passenger ride.

With the Maserati 450S firmly soaring in the collector car stratosphere, the opportunity to purchase such a thorough and convincing recreation is worthy of serious consideration. Benefitting from FIA HTP papers valid until the end of 2024, this hugely evocative road racer could be an appealing way into competition car ownership for its next owner.