85 bhp, 221 cu. in. L-head V-8 engine, three-speed sliding gear manual transmission, solid front axle and ¾-floating rear axle with transverse semi-elliptic leaf springs front and rear, and four-wheel mechanical internal-expanding drum brakes. Wheelbase: 112"
• 2000 Dearborn Award winner
• Ex-Jack Hogan
• Offered from the collection of William Ruger Jr.
Chassis 18-3614546 was acquired by Jack Hogan circa 2000 from Matthews Motors in Portland, Oregon; a body-off restoration ensued and no stone was left unturned. As a result of his efforts, this early Ford is finished in Washington Blue with a yellow pinstripe and has brown interior, a tan cloth top, and matching side curtains. It is fully equipped with a banjo steering wheel, fog lights, wind wings, dual outside rearview mirrors, dual taillights, front and rear bumper guards, a rare locking hood latch, a dash clock, and floor mats.
The wheels are very unusual for the late-1930s, as they are chromed short-spoke artillery wheels with script hubcaps and beauty rings. The finished wheel ensembles are shod in correct reproduction Firestone script whitewall tires. Every surface on this car is finished as it was dictated by Henry over seven decades ago. The trunk is even correctly finished, and the underside is of the same caliber. The engine bay is exceptionally correct and clean down to the correct Ford script battery and shows only the slightest sign of use, as does the front seat upholstery.
The correctness and quality of the restoration was recognized by the judges at the Early Ford V-8 Club Meet in Dearborn, where it won a Dearborn Award, and also by the AACA judges, where it was awarded a First Senior National Award. This example has been very well looked after and has covered a scant 1,221 miles since restoration. Ford would only offer the elegant phaeton body style through 1938, making this one of the most elegant prewar open Fords and a superlative must-have for any early Ford V-8 collection.