- Single ownership for 48 years, between 1964 and 2012
- Competition-derived OSCA twin-cam engine
The Fiat 1500S and 1600S Spiders from 1959–1966 brought together three icons of Italian design and manufacture and produced excellent results. Fiat first introduced a Spider Roadster in 1955, but the body was a clumsy pastiche of American clichés, right down to the upright dogleg windshield and the Cadillac rear fender chrome.
The company credited Pininfarina with the design, but he strenuously denied it and offered to produce something more suitable. The result was a 1959 redesign that looked like a smaller version of the Ferrari 250 PF Cabriolet. Fiat contracted the Maserati brothers to manufacture their extremely successful MT4 racing engine under license, which gave the new car performance to match its looks. It is estimated that 3,089 of the 34,211 Fiat spiders and coupés built in this period were twin-cam OSCA powered, and the 1959–1962 1500S can be recognised by its hood scoop.
Delivered new to France in 1961, the OSCA was sold by its first owner and ultimately remained in the possession of a subsequent owner between 1964 and 2012 – an unbroken ownership period of 48 years. During new ownership post 2012, this rare and stylish Pininfarina-designed Spider then underwent a sympathetic restoration in the Netherlands. It is now presented to a high standard, in a very complimentary light blue over dark red colour scheme, and is on the button, ready for its new owner to drive and enjoy.