55 bhp, 2,229 cc overhead-valve inline six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, transverse leaf-spring front suspension, dual half swing axle rear suspension, and four-wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 2,700 mm
In many ways, Mercedes-Benz was amongst the most democratic of the European auto manufacturers in the 1930s. No matter what model was selected, whether it was the smaller 230, the mid-range 320, or the massive top-of-the-line 500 K or 540 K, it combined innovative, sophisticated engineering with a wide range of striking, beautifully built bodywork. The buyer who could not afford a 540 K could instead purchase a 230 N and order it with factory-built roadster bodywork that was sporty and even sexy.
The 230 N of 1937 that is offered here, delivered through the Daimler-Benz Munich branch in September 1937, is one such car, and it incorporates several features new to that year’s model, including all-round independent suspension, a longer wheelbase, and an enlarged, more powerful engine that enabled a top speed of 116 km/h. It is one of the very nicest restorations in this collection, and it appears to have been done to European concours standards, with excellent glossy scarlet paint, red steel wheels with classic Mercedes-Benz star hubcaps, cream leather upholstery, and a tan top and carpeting, all of which are in very good condition throughout. Typical of German cars of this era, the dashboard is beautifully appointed with clear, well-laid out gauges that are surrounded by a Bakelite switchgear. The wheels are shod in Excelsior tyres, the engine breathes through a stainless steel exhaust, and a rumble seat provides the opportunity for sporty passengers to ride along.
All of the work on this ground-up restoration was executed to extremely high standards, which is obvious upon examination. Only detailing would be required to continue to prepare the car for future showing as one of the most dashing offerings from Mercedes-Benz in this period.