Fort Lauderdale | Lot 3088
1968 Porsche 911 Soft-Window Targa
$83,600 USD | Sold
| Fort Lauderdale, Florida
30 March 2019
- One of only 268 911 soft-window Targas built in 1968
- Fully matching-numbers; accompanied by Certificate of Authenticity
- Last year for the SWB style, preferred by many collectors
- 77,000-miles with all-original Leatherette interior, radio, steering wheel, and trim
- Fresh repaint in its original rare shade of Sand Beige (6807)
- Original books and manuals, including stamped “Maintenance Record” logbook
This 1968 Porsche 911 Soft Window Targa is one of only 268 examples built that year. The Soft Window Targa is a highly desirable body style offering a full open-air 911 motoring experience, one not repeated by Porsche until the SC Cabriolet arrived in ’83. Nineteen sixty-eight was the last year for the SWB body style – a shape preferred by many Porsche collectors who appreciate the purity of the original 911 design.
This rare 911 is a fully matching-numbers example with a copy of its Porsche COA. The car shows 77,000 miles, believed original, and a preserved original interior featuring its factory black leatherette seats, door panels, armrests, dash, mats, mostly original carpeting, rare rear seat delete compartment, Blaupunkt radio, steering wheel, trim, and accessories. Even the convertible rear window and Targa top are original; the tonneau boot is new.
The car recently finished full disassembly and repaint in its rare factory shade of Sand Beige code no. 6807. Fewer than 500 miles have been driven since a full, documented engine rebuild was performed. This is a U.S.-delivery car that was sold new from distributor Porsche Cars Northwest to Riviera Motors in Portland, Oregon. It has its original books and manuals, including its stamped Maintenance Record logbook.