Lot 126

1960 Porsche 356 B 1600 Roadster by Drauz

{{lr.item.text}}

$357,000 USD | Sold

United States | Amelia Island, Florida

{{internetCurrentBid}}

{{internetTimeLeft}}


Chassis No.
87779
Engine No.
602440
Gearbox No.
36491
Documents
US Title
  • Exceedingly desirable 356 B Drauz Roadster produced for the US market
  • Finished in its factory-correct color combination of special-order Royal Blue over grey leatherette
  • Powered by its numbers-matching 1.6-liter “Normal” engine and four-speed transaxle
  • Retained by its original owner until November 2009
  • Benefits from an exquisite restoration by Canepa of Scotts Valley, California completed in 2016
language

Porsche launched its 356 B Roadster for the 1960 model year as a successor to the one-year-only Convertible D. Like the D, the new Roadster offered Drauz bodywork, wind-up windows and a taller removable windshield. The 356 B also reflected Porsche’s continuing effort to improve the line’s mechanical components, with stronger engine internals, transaxle, shifting linkage, and better Alfin brakes. The body also displayed subtle styling changes, with a flatter hood, reshaped front fenders, and a larger chrome-plated hood handle.

A DRAUZ AND A DEGREE

This striking 356 B 1600 “Normal” Drauz Roadster was completed at Zuffenhausen on 31 March 1960 and finished in special-order Royal Blue over a grey leatherette interior. Factory specifications listed on an accompanying copy of its original Kardex include Continental tires and reclining seats. It was delivered new to Dave Rasmussen Volkswagen-Porsche of Burlingame, California. Notes from a previous owner indicate that the currently fitted Les Leston steering wheel and lap belts are believed to have been installed by the originating dealer when new.

This Roadster was first purchased by a gentleman as a surprise college graduation gift for his daughter. She would use it for the next several decades as her daily transportation until placing it into dry storage in 1995. Possibly spurred by her father’s passing in November 2006, the car was removed from storage in early 2007 and treated to a complete restoration executed by a retinue of specialist shops within Santa Clara County. Upon completion of its restoration in the March 2009, this Roadster dutifully claimed best in class honors at the Hillsborough Concours d’Elegance.

Freshly restored after 49 years of single-family ownership, it was acquired by an active 356 enthusiast and PCA member from Folsom, California. Within his diligent care, it claimed many more awards at PCA regional exhibitions throughout Central California. Several years later it was purchased by the Canepa Collection; in their typical fashion they completely disassembled the car and sorted it, thereby bringing its factory-correct details to their exceedingly lofty and international concours-winning standards. Over 500-plus hours were reportedly spent dialing in even the smallest details of the car’s roadgoing performance and presentation—including a bare metal respray in its original special-order Royal Blue paint. The consignor has also added an auxiliary electric fuel pump and battery cutoff controlled by under dash switches, with a complete ceramic coating treatment provided to the car’s entire front clip, hood, wheel wells, and rear spoiler.

As presented today this exceedingly desirable 356 B Drauz Roadster is powered by its numbers-matching 1.6-liter “Normal” engine and four-speed transaxle as listed on its Kardex. It currently rides on period-style Vredestein Sprint Classic tires housing date-coded steel wheels, and all the car’s dealer-installed accessories have been retained through the preceding decades of considerate, enthusiast ownership.