$600,000 - $750,000 USD | Not Sold
| Amelia Island, Florida
- One of only 310 produced
- Optioned with the rare electric sunroof; approximately 30 examples so equipped
- Copy of Kardex and Certificate of Authenticity included
- Recently rebuilt engine by four-cam experts Rennwagen Motor Company
130 bhp, 1,996 cc DOHC air-cooled horizontally opposed four-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with torsion bars, anti-roll bar, trailing arms and telescopic shock absorbers, independent swing axle rear suspension with torsion bars and telescopic shock absorbers, and four-wheel disc brakes. Wheelbase: 82.7 in.
Most auto racing buffs are familiar with La Carrera Pan-Americana, the long-distance road race held in Mexico in the early 1950s. “Carrera” is the Spanish word for race, the last of which was held in 1954. Porsches were entered in the races in 1952, 1953, and 1954. In 1953 and 1954, the factory entered a pair of cars in each race. Remarkably, in 1954, the Stuttgart firm posted one-two class wins and a 3rd and 4th overall behind 4.5- and 4.9-liter Ferraris. To celebrate this milestone, Porsche introduced a special car, the 100 horsepower 356 Carrera. It made its first appearance at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 1955.
At the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 1961, Porsche announced the new T-6 body for its venerable 356 model. Updates included larger front and rear windows, a new engine cover with dual grilles, and a bigger front hood squarer in shape, which along with a revised fuel tank, enhanced luggage capacity. Intake louvers were added to the front scuttle to improve ventilation, and an electrically operated sliding sunroof was offered as an option for the first time. The fuel filler door was moved from the driver side to the passenger side of the car, too. Inside, T-6 cars boasted a new dash with standard clock, variable speed wipers, better seat adjustments, door armrest, and a day/night rearview mirror.
At the same time the T-6 body was introduced, the Carrera returned to Porsche’s lineup. Dubbed the Carrera 2, it was equipped with a 130 horsepower, 1,996-cubic centimeter version of the marque’s racing-derived, four-overhead camshaft, rear-mounted, flat four-cylinder engine. Added power came courtesy of modifications to the old Carrera head, new aluminum alloy cylinders with Ferral coating, and plain main and big-end bearings for the forged crankshaft. Public sales began in April 1962, and these became the first Porsche cars fitted with standard disc brakes.
Auto Motor Und Sport tested a new Carrera 2 in 1962 recording a top speed of 124 mph and a 0–62 mph time of 8.6 seconds. Road & Track gushed, “The car’s acceleration is truly exhilarating. The clutch takes quite a bit of throttle without protest, and when the time comes for second gear, down comes the stick in a flick, more acceleration, and other cars pass as in reverse. High up in the speed range this is it – the effortless performance of the true high-performance machine.” Only 100 units were planned for homologation purposes. Despite a heady $7,600 asking price, 310 were produced over the production run.
Complete with both its Kardex and Porsche Certificate of Authenticity, this Carrera 2 is correctly finished in its original color of Oslo Blue over light brown leatherette with matching cloth inserts. In addition, it was originally optioned with the rare factory electric sunroof, electric antenna, dual speakers, chrome wheels, wood steering wheel, and a lowered driver’s seat for additional comfort for taller drivers. It was initially delivered new in Hanover, Germany, but came to the United States in 1966 when it was sold by a Volkswagen dealer to its second owner, Arthur Foyt, an active Porsche Club member. In 1971 it became the property of Eugene Deutsch, who brought the car to Boston in 1995.
The car was restored over a seven-year period between May 1998 and July 2005. It was stripped to bare metal and repainted, and the interior redone by noted authority Paterek Brothers in New Jersey. While not fitted with its original motor, it is fitted with a correct 587/1 engine, which was recently rebuilt by four-cam expert Bill Doyle of Rennwagen Motor Company in Costa Mesa, California. Original-style oil lines and connectors, as well as original ignition coil clamps with resistors boxes, were used. In addition, the car has been fitted with 356 C-style four-wheel disc brakes for enhanced performance. Documentation, including repair receipts dating to 1966, is included along with the owner’s manual, Carrera supplement, radio instruction book, and the original battery warranty.
Though restored over 10 years ago, the body, paint, and interior are described as “in excellent condition.” The car runs and drives well, and the consignor has used the car regularly during his ownership, which has helped to keep it in good running order. It was most recently inspected by Jeff Adams of SST Auto of Danbury, Connecticut, in January 2017, and everything is found to be in order. The consignor notes that the car still presents nicely and describes it as an exceptional driving car.
After all, this Porsche, was meant to be driven . . . fast. It will certainly provide its new owner with a thrilling experience like no other in this, the most powerful of the 356s.