1959 Ferrari 250 GT Coupe by Pinin Farina
Sold For $643,000Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee.
RM | Sotheby's - MONTEREY 24 - 25 AUGUST 2018
- Offered on Friday
- A classic Pinin Farina design in superb colors; one of only three delivered new in Blu Genziana
- Older multiple award-winning concours restoration
- Retains its original engine
- Ferrari Classiche application submitted in July 2018
- Offered with a tool kit, jack, and hammer
The new 250 GT coupe was introduced at the 1958 Paris Motor Show and was a decisive step forward toward true series production for Ferrari. With this new coupe, Pinin Farina coachwork replaced the Boano- and Ellena-built cars, and 355 examples were built by the time production concluded. It was a true “gentleman’s Ferrari” in every sense of the phrase, thanks to its elegant styling and luxurious interior. The new 250 GT “PF Coupe” became Ferrari’s most commercially successful model.
Under the hood was Ferrari’s renowned 3.0-liter Colombo V-12, producing 240 hp at 7,000 rpm and topped with three twin-choke Weber carburetors. Born and developed in the crucible of motorsport, this engine provided the coupe with a top speed just shy of 150 mph, and it could reach 60 mph in seven seconds, which is impressive for a car of its class and faster than many comparable offerings from Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Maserati.
The 120th of the 355 250 GT coupes built, chassis no. 1245 GT was originally finished in Blu Genziana (Max Meyer 16229) over a vinyl and leather interior in Nero (8500) when completed in early 1959. Delivered to Luigi Chinetti Motors of New York that spring, its early history is not known prior to the 1970s, when it was discovered with Bill McIntyre of Delaware, Pennsylvania. McIntyre sold the car to Carl Cantera of Earleville, Maryland, in 1988, and Mr. Cantera oversaw a complete restoration over the next four years, in this striking two-tone Verde livery with a complementary interior.
The restored car was judged Best of Show at the Garden State Fall Festival and Concours d’Elegance in 1992 and placed 2nd in Class and won the Forza Ferrari Award at the Ferrari Club of America National Meeting and Concours at Grand Rapids that same year. It reappeared at the event the following year, this time earning 1st in Class and receiving the Luigi Chinetti Award for Outstanding GT Ferrari. The coupe also won its class at both Pebble Beach and Concorso Italiano in the same weekend in 1993. Not content with those laurels, it also won Best of Show at the Concorso!
Following other honors in 1994, Cantera advertised the car for sale that year, and soon thereafter it was acquired for the present owner’s distinguished collection. Examination shows its restoration to be well preserved, including an engine compartment that is neat, tidy, and still highly presentable. The paint is rich, deep, and lustrous, with minor scratching to the roof its only notable flaw. The Veglia gauges are beautiful and clear, with the odometer recording only 791 miles since restoration at the time of cataloguing. The car is accompanied by a selection of trophies and a tool kit with jack and hammer.
Few surviving 250 GT coupes have been as acclaimed as this car, which, with two decades since its last show appearance, is now ready for another turn under the spotlights.