Open Roads, October | Lot 111
1958 Volvo PV544 Sport
€28,000 - €32,000 EUR | Not Sold
| Hamburg, Germany
6 - 13 October 2021
- Finished in Olive Green with a red over grey, vinyl and fabric interior
- Powered by a 1.6-litre inline-four engine, mated to a four-speed manual gearbox
- Features seating for five, heater, sun visors, door mirrors, Blaupunkt radio, Pioneer front speakers, twin Marchal spot lamps, spare wheel with new tyre and a jack
- Presented with the original purchase order, invoice, registration and owner’s manual
- Original dealership tag fitted in the passenger footwell
- Passed TÜV inspection and classified as an ‘Oldtimer’ on 8 September 2021 without faults or remarks
Introduced as the update for the Volvo PV444, the PV544 featured minor styling and mechanical changes. The windscreen was constructed from one piece of curved glass. Volvo widened the rear bench and narrowed the front seat backrests, allowing the rear bench to seat three individuals. A new ‘Sport’ model featured twin SU carburettors. The transmission was a four-speed manual.
This example, as per the original purchase order, was purchased on 15 October 1959 from the Lars Johansson dealer in Ullstorp, Önnestad for 8,300 kr. It is finished in Olive Green, with a red over grey vinyl and fabric interior. The car was optioned as a Sport model, receiving the twin SU carburettors fixed to the intake manifold of the B16, 1.6-litre, inline, four-cylinder engine.
This PV544 Sport has remained under the current ownership for eight years, having completed a nut-and-bolt restoration. The car was stripped down to its shell, with all corrosion attended to, before being refinished in the factory-correct Olive Green. The engine was stripped, rebuilt and painted; a new clutch was fitted to the gearbox. All the brake lines were replaced with new copper-nickel equivalents and the entire suspension was refurbished from front to rear. The brightwork was refinished, before being reassembled and the interior received new seat covers and carpets, presenting nicely.
This PV544 Sport presents a wonderful opportunity to acquire what appears to be an extremely presentable motor vehicle. Offered with this example; is the original purchase order, invoice, Swedish registration document and owner’s manual. The car passed its TÜV inspection on 8 September 2021 and is now classified as an ‘Oldtimer.’ The odometer shows less than 32,000 kilometres at the time of cataloguing.