St. John's

The Inn at St. John's
27 July 2013
Lot 173

1948 Chrysler Town & Country Convertible

{{lr.item.text}}

$140,000 - $170,000 USD | Not Sold

United States | Plymouth, Michigan

{{internetCurrentBid}}

{{internetTimeLeft}}


language
Chassis No.
7407554
  • Chrysler’s post-war masterpiece
  • Nicely restored, with 834 miles since restoration
  • Beautiful colors and interesting accessories

Series C-39. 135 bhp, 323.5 cu. in. L-head inline eight-cylinder engine, Fluid Drive transmission, front and rear coil-spring suspension with shock absorbers, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 127.5 in.

“They go well together—Orchids and the Chrysler Town and Country—perfect background for those to whom distinction comes naturally. There’s an air about this glorious convertible—a whisper of country clubs and moonlight rides…There’s poise in every dashing line—a car that’s at ease in any company.” As quoted from a 1946 Chrysler advertising promotion, that was the image behind this car; an image that shifted the focus of a soldier and his time served to that of a citizen with time to sit back, relax, and enjoy.

As swiftly as the production of civilian cars was halted at the onset of World War II, it resumed with nearly twice the speed in 1946. The Big Three scrambled to meet the demand of excited new car buyers. Chrysler, with an especially creative gusto, made their cars immediately sought-after by those who wanted a taste of the “good life.” The Town & Country, with its beautifully handcrafted white ash and mahogany wood trim, exuded style and affluence, and it evoked the fine craftsmanship of a bygone era. Powered by the reliable Spitfire eight-cylinder engine, the Town & Country floated almost effortlessly along, carrying its passengers to and from the country club or lake house in high style.

One of only 3,309 built in 1948, the Panama Sand beauty offered here was restored in 2009 and features outstanding woodwork. The dashboard and steering wheel feature a marble finish, while the interior is upholstered in leather with fabric inserts, just as it was originally. Original accessories include a working pushbutton radio, power gas cap, and black convertible top, as well as a Fluid Drive transmission. The car shows only 834 miles since restoration and runs and drives well, with the Fluid Drive functioning properly.

Now accepted as a Full Classic by the Classic Car Club of America, this Town & Country is an easy-to-drive symbol of a bygone era. It is ready to be enjoyed on the open roads with the same abundant optimism that faced America when it was built in 1948.