$134,400 USD | Sold
| Monterey, California
- One of 75 KA 2/4-Passenger Convertible Coupes built for 1934
- Smooth 150-hp, 414-cu. in. V-12 power
- Wears an older restoration that presents beautifully
- A CCCA Full Classic eligible for club events and CARavans
Although Lincoln’s sales numbers continued to improve after Ford’s buyout of the luxury marque in 1922, Fords made up 40 percent of the US market; Lincoln’s share was a miniscule 0.17 percent. The pairing of Detroit’s most inexpensive and simplest mass-produced automobiles with one its most expertly engineered, pricier, limited-production offerings was seemingly a shaky proposition. Then along came the Great Depression in 1929, which certainly did not help matters.
Thanks to the wealth of the Ford Motor Company and Lincoln’s capable direction under Henry’s son Edsel, however, the marque continued to gain status, as did the car’s image as one of America’s leading luxury automobiles. Unlike his mechanically minded father, Edsel had a keen eye for design and classic good looks. It was he, along with designer Bob Gregorie, who were responsible for the handsome Lincolns of the 1930s. The Model K of 1931 was the first new Lincoln model under Ford ownership; in part due to its fresh styling, sales increased. For 1932, the V-8 KA on a 136-inch wheelbase and the V-12 KB on a 145-inch wheelbase became available. By 1933, Lincoln had introduced a V-12 to the KA line; the following year, that V-12 was upgraded to 414 cubic inches and 150 horsepower. This celebrated V-12 would remain Lincoln’s sole powerplant until 1936.
This beautiful Lincoln is one of 75 2/4-Passenger Convertible Coupes produced for 1934. Like all Lincolns, it benefits from styling refinements which include a body-color radiator shell, cooling shutters, and smaller headlamps than previously used. The deep maroon exterior is paired with a black convertible top and matching interior along with period-appropriate wide whitewall tires to complete the striking, but subdued, exterior. Inside, one finds lovely inlaid wooden door caps. The iconic greyhound mascot, dual side-mounted spare tires, and accessory luggage rack are fitted.
The KA was subjected to a high-quality professional restoration to concours standards in 1999 under the direction of noted collectors Find and Arlene Christiansen. It received Best in Class honors at the Meadowbrook Concours shortly thereafter. One year later, it was displayed at Eyes on Design at the Edsel and Eleanor Ford home in Grosse Pointe Shores, Michigan. Today, it is beautifully presented, with an immaculately clean underhood area and chassis that show little evidence of use as well as expert care since restoration.
As a Full Classic, it will be welcomed at CCCA events and CARavan tours, and it will certainly be the envy of Lincoln or classic car enthusiasts wherever it appears.