Monterey

Monterey Conference Center
18 - 20 August 2022

1935 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Drophead Coupe by Allweather

Offered from Masterworks of Design

{{lr.item.text}}

$250,000 - $325,000 USD  | Offered Without Reserve

United States | Monterey, California

{{internetCurrentBid}}

{{internetTimeLeft}}

Inquire

Chassis No.
37TA
Engine No.
VS85
Documents
US Title
  • Well-presented older restoration with attractive streamlined coachwork
  • Formerly owned by Vernon Jarvis and John Schaler III
  • Accompanied by Rolls-Royce Foundation build and ownership documentation
  • A Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) Full Classic
language

Rolls-Royce Phantom II chassis number 37TA was originally delivered in April 1935 to a Mrs. J. Field. At some point, likely later in the decade, the original Windovers enclosed limousine body, likely of rather severe line, was replaced by the present, very curvaceous drophead coupe, with aerodynamic fully skirted fenders and a rear-mounted spare partially blended into the rear deck.

The ownership records of the Rolls-Royce Foundation indicate that this body, although its lines owe much to the creations of H.J. Mulliner and J. Gurney Nutting, was actually built by Allweather Motor Bodies. This firm was established in Kilburn, London, in 1935, as a subsidiary and then successor of earlier coachbuilder Gill, and survived for two decades. As their name suggests, they made a specialty out of “all-weather” convertible coachwork, mounted a handful of new specimens on Rolls-Royce chassis through 1939; afterward they specialized mainly in repairs and modifications to existing bodies built by others.

The car moved to the United States in the early post-war era, and was part of the famed collection of Vernon Jarvis, exhibited at his Early American Museum in Silver Springs, Florida. While Mr. Jarvis kept most of his automobiles until his passing in the late 1980s, chassis number 37TA was sold in the early 1950s to Indianapolis Rolls-Royce dealer and Rolls-Royce Owners’ Club co-founder, John Schaler III. It subsequently passed through owners in Kentucky, Wyoming, and finally Denver, Colorado, where it was kept by Richard McKinley and Edward M. Iacino. Mr. Iacino would own the Rolls-Royce for over a decade before it joined its present collection in the early 1990s.

Finished in a rich cream with red leather upholstery, the Phantom II’s presentation is overall quite charming, exhibiting minor age and wear to all finishes, in particular to the carpets and the finishes of the engine compartment. The arrangement of the interior is quite interesting, with individual adjustable bucket seats for the driver and passenger, something quite sporting for a Rolls-Royce of the era, and a very comfortably appointed sofa-like rear seat. Overall, this is a quite attractive Phantom II and would be a fine addition to any stable.