- One of 98 examples produced; the most powerful 300 touring variant
- Retains numbers-matching chassis, engine, and coachwork
- Very attractive restoration in elegant, period-correct colors
- Accompanied by fitted luggage and a copy of its data card
The Mercedes-Benz 300 is a highly significant automobile to the history of the company, as it represented the company’s robust return to production following World War II. While the firm was forced to focus on smaller automobiles for practical transportation, it also revived its racing program, for publicity and engineering purposes, and set its sights on once again becoming known as a manufacturer of luxury automobiles that would be the envy of all other companies worldwide. The 300 was the standard-bearer for that quest, based on a new tubular steel chassis with independent suspension and featuring handsome coachwork that combined the best of Classic Era and modern lines into one striking whole.
Mercedes-Benz recognized that the 300 saloon and Cabriolet D would not be sufficiently powerful and exclusive enough for their most moneyed customers. Thus, in October 1951, they introduced the 300 S, available by special-order in coupe, roadster, and cabriolet body styles, all powered by a street-tuned, triple-carbureted version of the engine from the 300 SL racing car. Each 300 S was carefully hand-crafted by the company’s skilled artisans, and enjoyed superb build quality with the very finest materials, including acres of rich solid wood trim and armchair-like seats cushioned by the thickest German leathers.
In September 1955, the 300 S was succeeded by the ultimate touring version of this platform, the 300 Sc, equipped with a new Bosch fuel-injected variant of the 300 engine. This was the fastest of the 300s and of course the most desirable; it was also the most limited, with only 200 made across all three body styles before production ended in 1958. The coupe accounted for nearly half of this number, 98 cars, which still made it one of the rarest luxury automobiles in the world.
It was natural that Paul Andrews, who enjoyed a powerful engine and comfortable interior, would gravitate to the 300 Sc, and this coupe was one of the final acquisitions made for his collection. It was purchased from a seller in Germany, with the build card, a copy of which is on file, indicating that it originally been delivered to Vienna, Austria, finished in Graphite Grey (DB 190) with Light Grey leather interior, and that it was born with the chassis, engine, and body numbers it retains today. Later, the car was changed to the current handsome and period-correct colors of Black over a Dark Green interior; at the time of acquisition, it was represented as having been mechanically restored some five years prior, with several photos of the work included in the file.
The car is very attractive cosmetically, with very good paint and good-quality chrome, Sekurit window glass, and a nicely detailed engine compartment. Equipment includes a lovely Becker radio and a full set of fitted luggage, the latter especially important for the 300 Sc’s rather unusually shaped trunk. Overall, with 24,638 kilometers (~15,310 miles) recorded at the time of cataloguing, the 300 Sc represents as an extremely high-quality example—the type of automobile that Paul Andrews deeply appreciated, as will indeed this 300 Sc’s new owner.