1958 Lancia Aurelia B24S Convertible by Pinin Farina
$325,000 - $400,000
- Single-family ownership since 1977
- Retains its original engine
- One of only 521 of the B24 convertibles
- Beautiful Pinin Farina coachwork on Lancia’s post-war sporting chassis
- Well-preserved original example, restored as needed
- Ideal for continued enjoyment and vintage touring
As the first Lancia to be completely produced post-war, the Aurelia needed to be something brand-new—and that, it certainly was. Beginning with the gorgeously engineered B10 and ending with the stylishly sophisticated B24 convertible, the most stunning aspect of the new Aurelia was the inclusion of the first production V-6 engine. Aesthetically, the B10 was beautiful. Its Pinin Farina–built body featured coach doors without a central pillar, and they opened to reveal a roomy interior. The B10 was followed closely by the larger-engined B21 and B20 GT coupe, both of which featured a shortened wheelbase.
Lancia engineers were constantly improving upon the Aurelia, with a new iteration released nearly every year and constant improvements occurring over the subsequent models. The fourth series was introduced in 1954, and the Aurelia was wholly redesigned. For the first time, left-hand drive was made available, and these cars were marked by an S, for sinestra. The B24 Spider America was also produced in 1954, and it was made specifically for the U.S. market.
The Spider America was further improved upon during production, resulting in the more sophisticated B24 convertible. The convertible is largely considered to be more elegant and all-around more practical, as it can be comfortably driven in foul weather. By replacing the panoramic windscreen with roll-down windows and opening the front quarter lights, a durable soft top could be added. A one-piece chrome bumper replaced the split bumper, and the convertible was given larger doors with handles. Only 521 B24 convertibles were made, and they remain highly desirable today.
Chassis number B24S-1445 was completed on 12 September 1957, finished in Grigio over Pelle Rossa. The Lancia has had only four owners from new and has been under single-family ownership since 1977. Prior to their purchase, it is believed the Aurelia had been repainted, a fine job that has beautifully mellowed with age. Under the family’s ownership, the seats have benefitted from a more recent reupholstering, though the interior retains many original features, such as the wood-rimmed steering wheel and Jaeger instrumentation. The Lancia is powered by a 118 bhp, 2,451 cc OHV V-6 engine, which is mated to a four-speed manual transmission. It is also accompanied by a 1977 bill of sale, select service records, tool pouch, and jack.
This B24S convertible represents an excellent opportunity to own one of the most elegant and technically advanced cars of its era. An excellent driving example that has always been maintained as needed, this fine Aurelia would make an ideal candidate for restoration or left as is and continued to be driven and enjoyed.