- Original California-delivery DB4
- One of approximately 149 first series cars
- Only 73 originally equipped with left-hand-drive
- Early example with desirable frameless doors and lack of bumper over-riders
- Finished in its original Snow Shadow Grey over red leather
- Original matching-numbers engine
- Documented with a copy of its factory build sheet
- Complete with factory manual, tools, and jack
In 1956 Aston Martin began development of the all-new DB4, which debuted at the London Motor Show in the fall of 1958. Not only did it set the tone of Aston Martin design for years to come, the DB4 also introduced an updated engine designed by Tadek Marek, whose name became synonymous with the marque’s engineering and performance excellence. The 3,670-cc DOHC engine was entirely constructed of aluminum and produced 240 bhp in standard tune with twin SU carburetors. Most important, the new 3.7-liter six-cylinder engine provided a platform for further development and continued with various displacements and power ratings through mid-1972.
Aston Martin turned to Carrozzeria Touring for its Superleggera (“superlight”) body design, comprising a lightweight yet strong framework of small-diameter tubes dressed in aluminum panels. The chassis, designed by Harold Beach, was both simpler and more rigid than that of its predecessors, using a new pressed-steel frame. Four-wheel Dunlop disc brakes matched the car’s impressive top speed of over 140 mph. The DB4 claims the distinction of being the first production car capable of sprinting from 0–100 mph and back down to zero in less than 30 seconds. It is fair to say, then, that the DB4 placed Aston Martin back on equal footing with its Italian counterparts from Ferrari and Maserati.
Offered here, complete with a copy of its original build sheet, this first-series DB4 from 1960 is an original left-hand-drive example, one of only 73 originally build as such. The DB4 was originally delivered to Charles Hornburg, Aston Martin’s premier U.S. West Coast importer. Through Hornburg, the car was sold new to Paul S. Pollack (Karl’s Shoes Limited) of Los Angeles, California. In 1991 the car was fully restored using all-original parts by well-known and respected Aston Martin vintage racing technician Simon Rodd, now an Aston Martin franchise dealer-owner. During his tenure, the car was shown with great success, including winning numerous class awards.
Around 2000, this DB4 was traded to Aston Martin dealer Miller Motorcars in Greenwich, Connecticut. Subsequently, 245/L found a home with Mr. Raymond Minella, a well-known Connecticut collector. In Minella’s care, this DB4 would continue to win several concours awards. The car was then sold to another well-known Aston Martin collector and moved across the ocean to the UK. The DB4 then returned Stateside in 2011. Having only 6,000 miles since complete restoration, it was thoroughly serviced and used for several seasons of motoring enjoyment. In 2016, the car was sold to its most recent caretaker. During this time, it was decided to return 245/L to its original color combination of Snow Shadow Grey over a lovely Red leather interior. It has thus been the subject of a complete cosmetic restoration and is now presented in exceptional concours condition throughout.
This early Series I, in its’ purest form, with the desirable frameless doors and lack of bumper over-riders, along with rear-hinged bonnet, is considered by many to be the most beautiful of the DB4 range with its’ egg-crate front grille, larger bonnet scoop, and straight cathedral taillights, all part of the original Touring of Milan design. This Aston Martin, complete with books, tools, and factory jack, will make for a welcome addition to an enthusiast’s garage or collection.