Lot 250

Miami 2024

1929 Pierce-Arrow Model 133 Touring with Tonneau Shield

{{lr.item.text}}

$92,400 USD | Sold

United States Flag | Coral Gables, Florida

{{internetCurrentBid}}

{{internetTimeLeft}}


language
Serial No.
2005167
Engine No.
A-6726
Body No.
125-TS-31
Documents
US Title
  • Offered from a prominent private collection
  • One of 10 known surviving examples of this dual-cowl phaeton design
  • Well-preserved restoration in colors taken from a Pierce-Arrow advertisement
  • Formerly of the noted collection of Richard and Linda Kughn
  • Award-winner in Classic Car Club of America competition

The renowned old Buffalo, New York, luxury automaker Pierce-Arrow merged in 1928 with Studebaker, with the latter putting its considerable fortunes fully behind the development of Pierce’s first eight-cylinder engine, a replacement for its long-lived six. Debuted in 1929, the new eight was a breakthrough, weighing some 100 pounds less than the big T-head six that it replaced and offering 25 percent more power from a 12 percent smaller displacement. It was even less expensive, with prices beginning at $2,775—allowing for Pierce-Arrow quality to be offered to a broader market in no fewer than 12 body styles. This included the rakish and sporty Touring with Tonneau Shield—what other manufacturers termed a dual-cowl phaeton—on the 133-inch-wheelbase chassis.

According to the records of the late, longtime Pierce-Arrow Society historian, Bernard J. Weis, the Touring with Tonneau Shield offered here is one of just ten known to survived; its having been built in this configuration is confirmed by the original body tag, noting “TS” for, of course, Tonneau Shield. Its first recorded owner was Canadian enthusiast Chris Chapman in 1966. Afterward the car moved to Wisconsin in the hands of Stanley W. Knight of Brodhead, then to John Bolkema of New Jersey and Louis Randle, Jr., of Indiana.

Finally the car was acquired for the distinguished collection of the late Richard and Linda Kughn, where it was preserved alongside many other fine Pierce-Arrows for several years. It was judged at 99 points in the Primary division at the Classic Car Club of America’s Michigan Grand Classic in 2008, was judged Director’s Choice at the Pierce-Arrow Gathering at the Gilmore Car Museum in 2009, and was the subject of a feature article in the November/December 2009 issue of the Michigan Region CCCA magazine, Torque.

The Pierce-Arrow’s restoration, in the elegant cream and black shown on this style in a 1929 advertisement for the marque, has continued to be well-preserved in its current ownership since 2014. Its jaunty air is further emphasized by numerous accessories, including Pierce-Arrow’s traditional archer radiator mascot, painted wire wheels, wind wings, dual horns, dual driving lights, dual side-mounted spares, and a canvas-covered trunk.

A superb example of the marque, this striking Pierce-Arrow is worthy of admiration—an excellent straight-eight engine and beautiful coachwork, combined in perfect harmony.