1955 Lancia Aurelia B24 Spider America
Sold For €425,600Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee.
RM | Sotheby's - MONACO 11 - 12 MAY 2012 - Offered on Saturday
Please note that contrary to what is stated in the auction catalogue this car was not restored by Quality Cars but by Kappa, one of the foremost Lancia specialists in Milan, Italy.
118 bhp, 2,451 cc V-6 engine with dual Weber carburettors, four-speed manual transmission, independent sliding pillar front, semi-trailing arm and coil spring rear suspension, and four wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 2,450 mm (104.7")
• One of only 240 built
• Professional restoration
• Borrani wire wheels; ASI ‘Targa d’Oro’ certification
Lancia’s first post-war car, the revolutionary Aurelia, appeared in 1950. The combination of the first production V-6 engine and the balance of the transaxle gearbox and inboard rear brakes were revelations in post-war Europe. The initial B10 sedan was quickly followed by a coupé, the B20, built on a shortened platform. Although the Aurelia was built with a semi-unitary body, a platform for coach builders (the B50) was also offered, on which Pinin Farina built a four-seat cabriolet. However, it was felt that a proper open two-seater sport model was required, especially for the all-important U.S. market.
The answer was the B24 Spider America, launched in 1954. Built on a wheelbase shortened a further 8.3? (210 mm) from the coupé, Pinin Farina’s shapely roadster featured a dogleg wraparound windshield and side curtains, with no external handles for doors or the boot to interrupt the almost liquid lines. As Lancia had established itself in the early ‘50s as a force in international competition, it is not surprising that hints of the marque’s D24 racing car could be seen in the look of the new sport car. After only 240 of the Spider Americas were built, a heavily revised model, the B24 convertible, was introduced in 1956. With an eye towards creature comfort rather than sportiness, the convertible added weight with roll-up windows, higher doors, more interior furnishings and a more upright windshield. At once, the Spider America was destined to be set apart.
This Aurelia B24 Spider America has been a part of one of the foremost Italian collections for many years, cherished by a true lover of the model. In fact, this is one of two examples of this rare Lancia in his ownership. Expertly restored by Quality Cars of Vigonza, Italy, it has received the highest certification from the Automotoclub Storico Italiano (ASI), the ‘Targa d’Oro’.
Whilst this Spider has been used recently, with great pleasure in a number of rallies and events since the restoration, it still presents extremely well. Finished in brilliant red with a tan leather interior, this B24 Spider America is also graced by the rare Borrani wire wheel option. Altogether, the aspect of this car is sporting and elegant in equal measure.
The Aurelia B24 Spider America has become one of the most sought after and valuable post-war Lancias and the reasons why are not difficult to see. They are beautiful, rare, a delight on the road and a more than welcome entrant to all driving as well as concours events around the world. The chance to join the privileged set of owners who own these remarkable cars is a very special opportunity indeed.