- Seldom-seen Italian marque with interesting history
- Eligible for participation in the Mille Miglia
- Presented in wonderful condition
70 bhp, 748 cc inline four-cylinder engine with twin Weber 40 DCOE carburettors, four-speed manual transmission, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes.
In 1925, Giovanni Moretti founded the Moretti Motor Company so he could design and build motorcycles himself, as well as in conjunction with other companies. During the late 1920s and early 1930s, Giovanni began to dabble in the design and production of microcars. During World War II, he manufactured various commercial vehicles, most notably a range of small electric trucks. Following the war, in 1946, Moretti moved to the production of conventional cars.
The first conventional car built by Moretti Motors was the Cita. Shortly afterwards, Moretti released the 600 and then, in 1953, the 750. These cars were available in various iterations, including taxis, berlinas, coupés, and single-seat race cars, such as the example offered here.
Chassis 1601 was built in 1955, although little is known of its early years. In April 1958, the car is believed to have entered the IV Premio de la Montaña, being driven by Edward Sepúlvera. Then, in June of the same year, Sepúlvera entered his Moretti in the Copa Ciudad de Maracay, where he finished a highly respectable 5th place. The Moretti then appeared at the Il Gran Premio Presidente Constitucional de la Republica de Venezuela on 31 July 1966, being entered by Taller Tonino. The team would enter this event again in 1967, where the car finished 2nd in the Formula Junior S class, and again in 1968.
The car has an interesting history file, which includes some period images of the car in both 1975 and 1976, when it still resided in Venezuela. In 1980, the car was photographed in Porto di La Guaira, Venezuela, alongside a Ferrari 250 TR, the ex-Ascari 750 Monza, and two Maserati A6 GCSes. Early in 1981, Mr Massimo Colombo, of Torino, Italy, bought the Moretti from Cobra de Venezuela for $400, and it was exported to Italy in June of that year.
Once in Italy, the car was acquired by Mariarosa Boldrini, of Brescia, sometime in the mid-1980s, and then it passed to Antonio Traversa from Alessandria. In more recent years, the car was restored to its current condition, for which a selection of invoices accompany the car. During the mid-2000s, the Moretti was then sold to the current owner, who has used the car sparingly.
Any car with period racing history is intriguing, but those that are eligible for today’s greatest historic driving events, including the Mille Miglia, are all the more alluring. This charming Moretti is eligible as such, and it would make a compelling addition to any collection.