- Final year for the Model L, restored to a high standard
- Finished in maroon over tan with many desirable features
- 385-cu.-in. L-head V-8 engine; three-speed manual transmission
- Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) Full Classic
Following Ford’s purchase of the Lincoln Motor Company in 1922, Henry Ford’s only son Edsel was placed at the helm of the luxury concern. Backed by the Ford Motor Co.’s considerable engineering resources and Edsel’s aesthetic sensibilities, Lincolns became everything Fords were not: big, powerful, technologically advanced, and expensive. In stark contrast to Henry’s one-size-fits-all approach to transportation, they were highly customizable, with a roster of coachbuilders providing a variety of attractive body styles.
Once Ford took over, the Model L was built exclusively on a 136-wheelbase starting with the 1923 model year. Ford improved the 60-degree L-head V-8 engine with aluminum pistons and better cooling for the cylinder head. Displacement increased from 358 cubic-inches at inception to 385 cubic-inches in 1928 with a claimed output of 90 horsepower. Much to the chagrin of rebuffed Lincoln founder Henry Martyn Leland, Ford’s oversight had turned around the fledgling luxury brand’s flagging fortunes, with flourishing sales of the Model L paving the way for the Model K of 1931. In its final year of production, the 1930 Model L received only minor updates, including the adoption of a worm-and-roller steering system for more precise control, and fenders painted to match the body color—a first for the company.
The Model L Seven-Passenger Sedan offered here was assembled on 25 June 1930, according to a copy of a from The Henry Ford. It is said to have received a frame-off restoration circa 2014–2017 and, given its current presentation, the work appears to have been executed to a high standard. The car is beautifully finished in maroon over a tan cloth interior replete with tufted upholstery detailing, rear-facing jump seats, roll-up window shades, and a stunning mirror-polished dashboard. Taupe wire wheels coordinate nicely with the interior and are wrapped in wide whitewall tires. Other desirable features include dual, side-mounted spares with polished metal covers, cowl lights, a luggage rack with a color-matched metal trunk, and the distinctive greyhound mascot leaping above the radiator.
A stellar example of the final year for Lincoln’s inaugural Model L, this restored Classic Car Club of America Full Classic is an excellent candidate for both tours and concours.