- Among the most striking midcentury American automotive designs
- Finished in a lovely dark green with matching tan cord and dark green upholstery
- Powered by a 324 cu. in. inline eight-cylinder engine paired to a three-speed Fluid Drive transmission
- One of just 3,309 Town and Country convertibles produced for 1948
- Benefits from a previous restoration completed in 2001
- Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) Full Classic
The Chrysler Town and Country was introduced in 1941 as a wood-bodied car with the same basic lines as Chrysler’s steel-bodied models, yet one that also had greater refinement, quality, panache, and a level of artistry that recalled a bygone era. In fact, its ash and mahogany-framed body projected an image of affluence and leisure that increased traffic at Chrysler dealerships nationwide. The model became an immediate status symbol and a favorite of the Hollywood set; Clark Gable, Bob Hope, Cornell Wilde, and Barbara Stanwyck were owners, as was Max Factor of cosmetics fame and then-General Dwight D. Eisenhower. The Town and Country was a dazzling expression of status when new, and it remains so today.
The 1948 Town and Country had a base price of $3,220 before options (a 20 percent premium over the cost of a comparable New Yorker). Despite these obstacles, convertible production actually increased over the previous year by 173 units to 3,309. In late 1947, the interior mahogany veneer panels gave way to Di-Noc, a decal-type material, though the ash framing remained. Nonetheless, a considerable amount of hand-finishing went into each and every Town and Country which not only accounted for its high price tag, but also its limited production numbers.
This wonderfully restored 1948 Town and Country Convertible is clad in a striking dark green exterior which is nicely complimented by the bright, refurbished wood framing. The cabin and convertible top are both trimmed to match with a handsome blend of dark green vinyl and tan cord. Amenities for this top-of-the-line offering include an automatic heater, push-button radio, clock, dual spotlights, yellow fog lights, and power convertible top. The car’s fine chrome detailing is complimented by a tidy set of chrome factory hubs wrapped in Coker Classic wide whitewall tires.
While this Town and Country’s earlier history is unknown, documentation on file shows that it resided with a collector in Virginia during the early 1990s, until passing to a Pennsylvania resident in December 1998. It was thusly acquired by the consignor in 2001 and retained for regular use within their fleet of antique and Full Classic automobiles. Immediately upon acquisition it was treated to a complete restoration; handwritten work logs and documentation are on file. This is a beautiful example of one of Chrysler’s most prestigious postwar models, now recognized as a Full Classic by the Classic Car Club of America.