$66,000 USD | Sold
| Hershey, Pennsylvania
- One of approximately 33 MGAs built for policy duty in the United Kingdom
- In the current owner’s possession since the mid-1970s
- Restored to police spec using authentic police car components
- Accompanied by British Motor Industry Heritage Trust certificate
- Award-winner, including Best in Class honors at the 2019 NAMGAR meet
The MGA was first introduced to the market in 1955 in 1500 configuration as a replacement for the 19-year-old MG T-series. Styling was sleek and shockingly contemporary compared to its predecessor. The MGA featured the modern B-series engine that made its debut in the Magnette saloon. In 1600 guise—the last of the MGA series—it marked the introduction of MG’s first front-wheel disc brakes. Production of the Mark II began in April 1961 and ceased in June 1962, with 8,719 units completed prior to the arrival of the MGB.
The Mark II differed from previous models with vertical bars in the grille that were recessed at the bottom; a new taillight cluster was borrowed from the Mini; and most noteworthy, BMC’s 1,622-cubic-centimeter four-cylinder engine was installed. This cast-iron block motor offered a 13-percent horsepower increase as well as an increase in torque of 12 percent, all from a displacement increase of only 34 cubic centimeters. All told, the 93-horsepower engine afforded a top speed in excess of 100 mph.
According to its accompanying British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Certificate, this is one of approximately 33 right-hand drive MGAs used for police duty. It has been in the current owner’s possession since the mid-1970s, although he did not know of the car’s prior life until he decided to do a frame-up restoration in the late 1990s and acquired the BMIHT Certificate. The car was completely disassembled and, according to the consignor, restored to perfection by the Body Werks in Barrington, Illinois. Engine work was done by marque expert John Twist.
Authentic and proper police parts were acquired from a retired London policeman who had been involved in the restoration of two other police MGAs prior to this car. Further research led to the consignor speaking to the officer assigned to this car in Lancashire, United Kingdom! Restoration to original specification was completed in 2013. The consignor does note that the car was originally fitted with disc wheels and was fitted with wire wheels and the corresponding axle assembly and related parts when restored. In addition, an MG luggage rack has been added.
The MGA receives rave reviews wherever it is shown and has been kept in a heated and climate-controlled garage since restoration. Most recently, it received Best in Class honors at the 2019 NAMGAR (National Association MGA Registry) meet; it will no doubt continue to win admiration under the care of its next owner.