$37,950 USD | Sold
| Hershey, Pennsylvania
- One of just 400 two-window Model L sedans produced
- Attractive two-window design by LeBaron
- Exhaustive restoration to original, documented in Torque magazine
- Eligible for all CCCA events and CARavans
- An ideal vehicle to show and tour
During 1927, the number of engineering changes were more significant than at any other time during the ten-year production run of the Lincoln L-Series. Nineteen twenty-seven models were the first equipped with four-wheel brakes which Lincoln referred to as the “six-brake system”—the four-wheel internal expanding brakes controlled by the foot and the two-wheel rear external contracting brakes controlled by hand. A new clutch design reduced inertia of the revolving parts to facilitate gear meshing. Finally, a “coincidental lock” was fitted as standard equipment. This combination steering wheel and ignition lock was Lincoln’s early attempt at an anti-theft device.
The standard two-window, four-passenger sedan, Model 144-A, was actually a LeBaron design that was continued from 1926. Both Lincoln’s own shops and Murray built the bodies combining for 400 units in 1927. At $5,000, this was a $200 increase over the previous year. The rear quarter roof panels were leather-covered and fitted with landau irons for a luxurious touch.
This two-window sedan was purchased by the consignor in 1988, which began a 13-year search for correct parts in order to complete a proper restoration back to original. The Lincoln was the cover car and the subject of a multi-page feature story in the November-December 2016 issue of Torque—the Michigan Region CCCA magazine. It documents the consignor’s initial search for a town car, the happenstance of his finding this car, and the journey in restoring the Lincoln to its original glory. A copy of the article is available for inspection and review.
The car was then exhibited at the 2011 Concours of America at St. Johns as well as the 2015 Michigan Region Grand Classic. It is finished in a lovely blue-and-black combination over an equally appealing blue leather interior with wood trim and cut bud vases in the rear passenger compartment. Outside are artillery wheels, an accessory trunk, and a rear-mounted spare. The Lincoln continues to present nicely and would be ideal for continued presentation as well as all CCCA events and CARavans.