$13,200 USD | Sold
| Hershey, Pennsylvania
- An all-original, unrestored survivor with 17,000 miles
- Includes the original service papers and owner’s manual
- AACA HPOF and Metropolitan Club of North American “Test of Time” certification
- Known ownership history from new
Nash introduced the Metropolitan hardtop coupe and convertible for 1954. Looking not unlike a three-quarter version of the big Nash, the little car featured enclosed front wheels along with a continental spare tire out back. Bodies were built in England by Fisher and Ludlow, while its four-cylinder engine came from Austin, which did the final assembly. Sold by both Nash and Hudson dealers, production continued through 1962.
Beginning in 1956, Metropolitans were upgraded to a 52 hp, 1,500 cc engine (a 10 hp increase). Nineteen fifty-nine marked the addition of an outside trunk lid greatly improving access to the rear storage area. Front vent windows to improve ventilation, larger tires, and redesigned seats with two inches of more seat travel were also included. All of this helped to make 1959 the most successful year for the Metropolitan, with sales of 14,959 in the United States.
Finished in Autumn Yellow, this cute Metropolitan is said to be completely original and unrestored. It has received Test of Time honors from the Metropolitan Club of North America and AACA HPOF certification attesting to its condition. It was originally purchased in Knoxville, Tennessee, and in 1961 or 1962 it was bought by a dealer, White-Allen Chevrolet in Dayton, Ohio. It remained in their possession until it was purchased by an individual in Beavercreek, Ohio, in 1985, selling to the consigner’s friend a year later. The consigner purchased it from him around 1989–1990.
The odometer reading of 17,000-some miles is believed to be accurate. Further attesting to its originality are small dents on the fender above the rear wheels common to Mets, from when the cars were offloaded from shipping. Other signs include paint on the fuel pump, as Met engines were painted following assembly. The original service papers and owner’s manual are included. It is fitted with accessory wheel-trim rings and a dealer-installed outside mirror typically used on AMC/Ramblers of the period.