The Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum | Lot 277
1967 Solyto Break Camping
$20,700 USD | Sold
| Madison, Georgia
15 February 2013
A very rarely seen example with four rear windows.
Manufacturer: Les Equipements Electriques
Origin: Lyon, France
Motor: KV 1-cyl., 2-stroke
Displacement: 125 cc
Power: 5.5 hp
Length: 8 ft.
Identification No. 73573
The Solyto utility truck had been built at the sheet metal division of New Map since 1952; this division was called the SOciété LYonnaise de TOlérie, hence the odd name. Motorcycle production was cancelled in 1959, leaving the Solyto as the sole carrier of the once grand motorcycle firm whose origins dated back to the twenties. Mr. Castellano, father of the Solyto, retired and Joseph Spalek replaced him.
The Ydral motor, named using the designer’s name spelled backwards, was replaced by an Ultima, and a remarkable automatic transmission was designed for it by Spalek. Later, he also designed his own motor and soon fitted it with an electric starter. In 1963, the company was making phone boxes for KV, and the two companies soon combined. In 1965, the Solyto was fitted with CDI electronic ignition. The only other users of CDI in the industry were Formula 1.
By 1971, the Solyto was being sold as the TC-8 model by KV. It was offered in three body styles: a canvas-back Fourgonette Bachée, a metal back Fourgonette Tolée, and a rarely seen Break Camping with four windows in the rear compartment, like the example offered here, which has been sympathetically maintained but is amazingly complete. It would deservedly make an outstanding basis for a concours restoration.