Arizona | Lot 271
1956 Austin-Healey 100-4 BN2
$62,160 USD | Sold
| Phoenix, Arizona
17 January 2020
- Finished in its original dual-tone combination
- Retains its original matching-numbers engine
- Equipped with sporty Lucas driving light
- Accompanied by BMIHT certificate
When Donald Healey presented his two-seat Hundred prototype at the 1952 Earls Court Motor Show, he was no stranger to high-performance automobiles. Healey and Lord struck a deal to build the car at Austin’s Longbridge assembly plant using Jensen Motors–supplied bodies, and they named their venture Austin-Healey and quantified the roadster’s nomenclature to simply 100.
In late summer of 1955, an updated model dubbed the Austin-Healey 100 BN2 bowed. Visually, it was distinguished by beefier front wheel arches, and many left the Longbridge factory with two-tone paint. A four-speed manual with overdrive and a revised rear axle ratio provided the BN2 with more spirited performance. The Austin-Healey 100 proved especially popular in California’s budding car culture. Nearly three-quarters of Austin-Healey 100 BN2 production was earmarked for California, including the example offered here, which left the factory on 7 June 1956 bound for Los Angeles.
This wonderful 100-4 BN2, a left-hand-drive export model, was completed on 4 June 1956, according to its British Motor Industry Heritage Trust certificate. The Healey, which boasts its original color combination, was finished in two-tone paintwork of Ivory White and black, as well as a black interior and a black top. It was sold and delivered new through Hambro Trading Inc. of Los Angeles. The first owner tastefully chose optional extras which included a laminated windscreen, mph speedometer, and a heater. The current owner, recognizing the car’s significance, commissioned a full restoration in 2014. Upon stripping the paint, it was revealed that both the engine and boot compartment had been painted black, a known experiment by the factory and found only on white cars at the end of the BN2 production.
With less than 700 miles since its restoration, this BN2 is ready to be driven and experienced to the fullest by its next discerning custodian.