Arizona | Lot 111
1946 Ford Super DeLuxe Station Wagon
$44,800 USD | Sold
| Phoenix, Arizona
17 January 2019
- Freshened highly original car
- Documented ownership history
- America’s favorite woodie
Ford was the first U.S. automaker to resume production at the end of World War II. The assembly lines commenced operation on 3 July 1945, before hostilities had ceased completely in the Pacific. The company had the advantage of being authorized to restart civilian truck manufacture in April 1944. Still, it took time to reach satisfactory production levels, and the more complex styles like station wagons took even longer. The Iron Mountain plant had produced glider parts during the war, but had kept a stock of 1942 wagon parts on hand for the day that assembly could resume. Because engineering and development work had halted during the war, all 1946 Fords and Mercurys were very slightly restyled and re-trimmed versions of their 1942 counterparts.
Most significant was the fact that all V-8 Fords now used the Mercury-derived 239-cu. in., 100-bhp engine. Slight changes from 1942 involved the ignition system and a new casting for the cylinder block, the latter taking its “59A” designation from the Ford project code.
Equipped with radio, heater, and electric clock, this 1946 Ford Super DeLuxe station wagon was formerly owned by James J. Angleton, a young officer in the Office of Strategic Services during World War II. Joining the Central Intelligence Agency after the War, he became Chief of Counterintelligence in 1954, serving until 1975. The car was kept at his vacation retreat in Superior, Wisconsin, for many years, stored carefully in a red brick garage. After Angleton’s passing in 1987, it was discovered by the estate’s caretaker. Highly original, it is finished in maroon with brown artificial leather upholstery. The car is in excellent condition throughout and has received restoration as required. A history of Mr. Angleton and a letter from a prior owner documenting its history are included with the car.