1947 Bentley Mark VI Saloon by Freestone & WebbOffered without reserve
RM | Sotheby's - ARIZONA 2019 - The Calumet Collection
- Offered from the Calumet Collection
- One of a dozen produced to this handsome ‘razor edge’ design
- Accompanied by a full report from Bentley historian Diane Brandon
- Rolls-Royce Foundation build documentation and full sets of tools
- Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) Full Classic
Bentley’s first post-war model, the Mark VI featured an updated version of the company’s pre-war six-cylinder engine, now with a high-lift camshaft and dual SU carburetors for more horsepower. “The Silent Sports Car” was now available, for the first time, with a factory-built ‘Standard Steel Saloon’ body, but many buyers still elected to specify custom coachwork by one of the few remaining European firms.
The car offered here was one of a dozen bodied by the Kent coachbuilders Freestone & Webb to their design no. 3038, a beautifully proportioned saloon with curvaceous ‘razor edge’ lines, in this case with a sliding sunroof and rear fender spats. It was delivered in February 1948 to E. Gomme, Ltd., a prominent British manufacturer of modern furniture. Subsequent owners included Stephan Hall of South Glastonsbury, Connecticut, who registered the car with the Rolls-Royce Owners Club in September 1970. It formerly won several awards in British car club competition.
Today the saloon presents as a tidy and well-sorted driver, the purpose for which it has been enjoyed by the Calumet Collection, wearing an older restoration in two shades of creamy buff with pride. Notably, the interior, swathed in Connolly leather with beautiful rich woodwork, is particularly comfortable and sumptuous. Further, the car is offered with full sets of road and hand tools, as well as its original handbook.
Accompanied by a written report from noted Rolls-Royce and Bentley historian, Diane Brandon, as well as copies of build and ownership documentation, this fabulous early post-war coachbuilt Bentley is sure to provide years of touring pleasure for a new caretaker.