Offered from the Mohrschladt Family Collection
$66,000 USD | Sold
| Phoenix, Arizona
- Offered from the Mohrschladt Family Collection
- One of 2,044 built; an exceptionally rare survivor
- Documented history with only four owners since new
- High-quality Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) award-winning older restoration
- The largest post-war American convertible ever made
315 bhp, 430 cu. in. OHV V-8 engine, three-speed Twin-Range Turbo-Drive automatic transmission, independent front suspension with coil springs, live rear axle with semi-elliptical leaf spring suspension, and four-wheel power-assisted hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 131 in.
The all-new 1958–60 Continental was the creation of Ford stylist John Najjar, with considerable contributions from a young Larry Shinoda (later of Corvette Sting Ray fame). Designed in the mid-1950s as a response to the “bigger is better and too much is just right” school of thought, it wound up being the most deluxe automobile built by Lincoln in this era, with a 131-inch-wheelbase chassis and an overall length of 227.2 inches. In fact, the 1960 Mark V Convertible remains the largest open-top American car built after World War II.
Even when new, these exclusive automobiles were just that—exclusive. Only 2,044 Mark V convertibles were made, and when new, they represented the zenith of American motoring.
The car offered here may well be one of the best-documented and lowest-ownership examples in existence, and its odometer reading of 35,618, at the time of cataloguing, is believed to be original. It was purchased new by Arthur and Leone Levin of Oscoda, Michigan, from Evans Lincoln-Mercury of Detroit on 10 December 1959. Paperwork in the fascinating history file includes the original window sticker, build sheet, and service receipts and registrations from the Levins’ ownership, which lasted for nearly three decades. In 1988 they sold the Lincoln to Donald C. McCormick of Clarendon Hills, Illinois, a Mark V specialist who owned nearly a dozen examples of this model over the years.
Mr. McCormick subsequently sold this car to Gordon Harbuck of Fort Myers, Florida, who in the mid-1990s undertook an intensive and superb restoration, including exhaustive research into the correct finishes and authenticity of all components. While the restoration is older now, it remains well-preserved and virtually unparalleled in the quality and level of detail that went into it. For instance, original paint found inside the trunk lid was used to recreate the underbody finish, while the top was reupholstered in correct cloth from a company in suburban Boston. The car had by 1995 achieved its AACA Senior First Prize and was nominated for a National Award.
Offered today from the Mohrschladt Family Collection, its fourth owners, this is the ideal car for anyone looking to complete a “set” of Lincoln Continentals—or simply wanting to own a fine example of one of the greatest, most flamboyant American automobiles of its era.