Lot 184

1960 Jaguar XK 150 3.8 Drophead Coupe

{{lr.item.text}}

$95,200 USD | Sold

United States | Amelia Island, Florida

{{internetCurrentBid}}

{{internetTimeLeft}}


language
Chassis No.
S 838730 DN
Engine No.
VA 1645-8
Body No.
P 8271
Cylinder Head No.
VA 1645-8
Documents
Canadian Registration
  • Desirable 3.8-liter example of the luxurious XK 150 Drophead Coupe wearing an older restoration
  • Fastest of the three early XKs with a top speed north of 130 mph
  • Powered by Jaguar’s vaunted 3.8-liter, double overhead camshaft, inline six-cylinder good for 220 horsepower
  • Finished in white over brown leather upholstery with an insulated black fabric soft-top
  • Accompanied by a copy of its Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust certificate, owner’s handbook, maintenance chart, and select service invoices from years past

As its name would suggest, the XK 150 was the third and final iteration of Jaguar’s illustrious XK series of sports cars. While still sharing the same basic chassis as its predecessors, the new model sported taller front fenders with a wider chrome grille and handsomely curved single-piece windshield. In what was seen as a momentous advancement to the luxurious line, all three iterations now sported roll-up door glass for the first time.

In late 1959, the XK 150 received a major upgrade in the form of the 3.8-liter inline six-cylinder engine borrowed from the Mark IX saloon. The enlarged engine was offered in either standard or “S” configuration, good for a claimed 220 or 265 horsepower, respectively. This significant power boost helped offset the XK 150's increased heft, allowing for a reported top speed north of 130 mph, making it the fastest of the three early XKs.

Completed on 1 March 1960, this factory 3.8-liter XK 150 wears the lavish drophead coupe body style with vent windows and insulated convertible soft-top. Per the car’s accompanying Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust history certificate, it was originally finished in the ultimate Jaguar color combination of British Racing Green over tan leather with a Sand convertible top. After its completion, this left-hand drive example was dispatched to the United States through Jaguar Cars of New York.

Said to be wearing an older restoration, this example is now presented in white over brown leather with a black fabric soft-top. The leather interior presents well with the front seats showing a lived-in patina. The drophead wears dual fender-mounted sideview mirrors and rides on period-correct, 48-spoke, chrome wire wheels shod in wide whitewall tires to give the car a wonderfully regal appearance. The 3.8-liter inline-six-cylinder is fed by dual SU carburetors and mated to a four-speed manual transmission.

This charming XK 150 3.8-liter Drophead Coupe is accompanied by its Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust history certificate, owner’s handbook, maintenance chart, and select service invoices from years past.