- Offered from the collection of Mike Laureno
- Legendary Ford flathead V-8 power; Streamlined styling credited to Phil Wright of the Briggs Body Company
- Former Dearborn Award and AACA Senior National First Prize winner
- An older restoration that still presents beautifully
- Rides on red wire wheels with matching covered rear spare; accompanied by side curtains
Ford introduced the Model A as a replacement for its long-running Model T in 1928—but just four years later, the Model A itself was history. To upstage rival Chevrolet’s six-cylinder, Ford offered its first V-8 engine in 1932. Though V-8s were nothing new, this was the first time one was to be offered in a low-price, mass-produced car.
Streamlined styling began in 1933, progressing even further with bodies that were longer and wider with new grilles and 17-inch wheels. The design, credited to Phil Wright at Briggs Body Company, is considered one of the most desirable standard production models of the 1930s by today’s collectors.
The cast iron flathead V-8 was a tremendous value for the money, offering 75 horsepower from its 221-cubic-inch displacement in 1933. The V-8 engine proved so popular Ford discontinued its four-cylinder engine in March of the 1934 model year, and the powerplant, which would come to be known as simply the “Flathead,” would serve as the basis for many hot rods for years to come.
This jaunty V-8 Roadster has been owned by the consignor in excess of 30 years; prior to the start of their tenure, is said to have been the beneficiary of a no expense-spared restoration more than 35 years ago by Enfield Auto Restoration. The restoration began with a rust-free, single-family-owned car; only NOS parts were used in the restoration, including front fenders and a grille shell. It is a former Dearborn Award-winner from the Early Ford V-8 Club, having scored as high as 999 points, in addition to earning Best of Show honors in Rhinebeck, New York. Further, it was an AACA Senior National First Prize winner in 1987.
Finished in black with a tan canvas roof in correct (and presently not in production) T14 top material, this Roadster is accented by wide whitewall tires fitted to red wheels. Dual cowl lights, horns, and taillights, as well as a rear-mounted spare, highlight the exterior. Side curtains are also included. The car has been extremely well cared-for over the years and the underside of the car is deemed as nice as the topside; fewer than 300 miles have reportedly accumulated since restoration. Excellent club support and the availability of vintage parts add to the desirability of 1930s Fords, and this Roadster offers its next owner a fine example of one of the decade’s most stylish offerings.