Amelia Island | Lot 154
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
$156,800 USD | Sold
| Amelia Island, Florida
22 May 2021
- One of just 815 produced for the 1958 model year
- Restoration completed in 2018 by Penn-Dutch Restoration Services, Inc.
- Leather interior by Carl’s Quality Auto Upholstery
- Never shown publicly since restoration
Cadillac’s first Eldorado was shown to the public at GM’s Motorama in 1953. Along with the Buick Skylark and Oldsmobile Fiesta, the halo cars were limited-production convertibles available in small numbers at a high price. Five years later, General Motors celebrated its 50th Anniversary and Cadillac built its 2 millionth car. Despite the hoopla, sales dropped more than 25,000 units for a total of 121,778 cars thanks to a serious recession in the American economy. Just 815 Eldorado Biarritz Convertibles at a cost of $7,410.00 (before options) were built during the year, adding to their desirability today among collectors.
Eldorados received new quad headlamps for the 1958 model year. Bumpers were revised, and the rubber “Dagmars” were less pronounced and set lower against the parking lamps. The grille was stretched nearly full-width and made up of dozens of jewel-like metallic studs. Chrome blades capped each front fender. A strip of stainless steel ran from the headlight trim rings back to the midpoint of the car, along with lower rear quarter panels covered in stainless steel. Ten vertical chrome trim pieces were added ahead of the rear wheel openings, as was a new, narrow “V” emblem on the lower left corner of the rear decklid with the Eldorado name spelled out in small block letters beside it. Standard on the Eldorado was Cadillac’s 335-horsepower, 365-cubic-inch V-8 engine equipped with three Rochester two-barrel carburetors backed by a Hydramatic automatic transmission.
The consigner purchased this car in 2014 as a very good driver-quality example. He commissioned a complete photo-documented rotisserie restoration completed by marque expert Penn-Dutch Restoration Services, Inc., of Glen Rock, Pennsylvania in 2018. The exterior was finished in Argyle Blue with a matching blue leather interior by Carl Cranston of Original Leather Interiors, Inc., Hiawassee, Virginia. A dark blue convertible top is fitted, making for a stunning combination. When the top is stowed, a fiberglass parade boot is included, adding to the sleek appearance.
While no early history of this car is known, the original build record from GM Historical Archives accompanies its sale. Since restoration, the car has not been shown and has been used sparingly. The consigner describes it as a beautiful automobile, and its new owner will have a spectacular car to enjoy whether driving top-down on a sunny day or showing it on the concours field.