- Fewer than five examples believed to be built for 1934
- Recently cosmetically restored and freshly detailed
- New black convertible top with matching boot
- Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) Full Classic
- Eligible for all club events and CARavans
Cadillac V-12s began arriving in dealer showrooms in October 1930, a month later than V-8s for the 1931 model year. Overshadowed by its “big brother” V-16, the V-12 afforded lively performance at a cost of about $700 over comparable V-8 models. The Twelve and Sixteen shared parts as well as dimensions and angles, so production did not have to proceed from scratch. The Twelve was nearly the performance equal of the big Sixteen, with strong torque and similar top speed; from its 368-cu. in., it produced 135 hp and 285 foot-pounds of torque and a top speed of 80 mph-plus.
Cadillac boldly claimed itself, “The Standard of the World.” Among luxury makes, it was certainly an understatement with offerings of 134-, 140-, and 143-in. wheelbases; bodies by Fisher and Fleetwood; three different engine configurations; and the more moderately priced LaSalle as part of its lineup. It arguably began a trend that eventually led to Cadillac’s domination of the luxury car field over rival Packard.
Cadillac built a total of 683 Series 370D V-12s for 1934, all riding a 146-in. wheelbase. Though exact production records are not available, this five-passenger Convertible Sedan is believed to be one of fewer than five built that year. A total of 18 body styles were offered, all with coachwork by Fleetwood. Six models had flat windshields and 12 used the modified V-windshield like this example. In addition to all-new styling, which featured pontoon front fenders with horizontal creases on the leading edges, 1934 Cadillacs and LaSalles featured one-year-only delicate bi-plane bumpers, which add to their desirability today.
The data tag denotes that this vehicle was built by General Motors of Canada Limited at its Oshawa Walkerville Regina, Ontario, facility with Body Job No. 6185LX30. It is a former AACA First Junior winner in 1994, Senior Award winner in 1995, and it received its First Preservation Award in 1996. Though an older restoration, the Cadillac has been recently cosmetically restored to its former glory and has been driven less than 300 miles since. The car presents nicely in grey with black fenders and a red leather interior and has been fitted with a new black convertible top with matching boot. The car has been fully detailed, including the undercarriage, and is equipped with a roll-up rear division window; dual side-mounted spare tires with metal covers; whitewall tires; and a factory trunk rack with Cadillac metal accessory trunk.
A Classic Car Club of America Full Classic, it is eligible for all club events and CARavans.