- Offered from a private collection
- Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) First Prize winner
- Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) Full Classic
- Accompanied by a copy of its original build sheet
Compared to its predecessor, the exterior of the 1929 Cadillac was little changed. Parking lamps were moved from the cowl to the tops of the fenders—a subtle modification providing a bit sportier look. Significant changes took place under the sheet metal. Most important was a new “clashless” Synchro-Mesh Silent-Shift transmission, negating the need for double-clutching while also enabling much smoother gear selection. New mechanical four-wheel brakes required considerably less pedal pressure than earlier models, and shatterproof Security Plate glass became standard in all windows. The suspension system featured new double-acting Delco shock absorbers, and the finely upholstered fully adjustable seats became standard.
The Cadillacs of 1929 were, by any measure, among the finest luxury cars built in this country at the time – especially with the dramatic sport phaeton body by Fisher, distinguished by a two-tone color scheme divided by a complex body molding.
The build sheet for this car identifies it as having been built with this sport phaeton coachwork, in the striking color scheme of Madeira Maroon and Carolina Ivory with dual side-mounted spares. It was originally shipped to Boston on 24 November 1928, and then delivered to Portland, Maine. Restorer John Greenleif noted that the car was formerly owned by a Rhode Island mortuary for flowers in processions! It was then acquired by Ruben “Robert” Marks who owned it for several years, then acquired by the current owner. Fully restored by Mr. Greenleif to that same specification of its build sheet, it achieved a First Prize in AACA National competition, and has been extremely well maintained by its owner. Desirable features include the original Cadillac running boards with a very rare side-mounted spotlight, as well as front and rear fold-down windshields with front wind-wings. The attractive rear trunk includes the matching tan top cover and removeable side windows.
This is one of the finest surviving examples of this rare and desirable model.