$99,000 USD | Sold
| Amelia Island, Florida
102 bhp, 1,991 cc inline six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual gearbox, independent front and rear suspension with transverse semi-elliptic leaf springs and dual wishbones, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 90"
• An original left-hand drive example; correct AC engine with car since 1958
• Exceedingly rare; one of 28 AC-powered Acecas built for 1958 and 151 in total
• Restored in current ownership; sorted with some 1,700 miles since
This handsome, original left-hand drive AC Aceca coupe, AEX672, was completed on June 24, 1958 and shipped to BC Sports Cars of Vancouver, British Columbia. It is remarkably rare as one of 28 AC-powered Acecas built for 1958 and one of only 151 produced in total. In addition, it is one of just seven Acecas destined for Canada that year and one of the 11 exported to Canada during the model’s entire run. A set of electric carburetor heaters are an additional rarity.
Acquired in 2007 by the current owner, who extensively researched its history, AEX672 is known to have retained its correct AC engine since 1958, numbered CL 2356-W. It should be noted that AC production records of the period were not always strictly accurate, and sometimes changes occurred between the printing of the production records and assembly of each specific car. In this case, AEX661 and AEX672 were built sequentially for export to BC Sports Cars, and the engine present in AEX672 was supposedly intended during production for AEX661. The intervening cars were all Bristol-powered, and AEX661 is presently fitted with a Bristol unit. Since none of the prior owners of either car swapped engines, and it is doubtful that BC Sports Cars swapped engines between the two cars, the engines were most likely installed at the factory in the wrong cars, particularly since “matching numbers” was not such a concern back then. In short, AEX672 was almost certainly born with engine CL 2356-W.
Following acquisition, AEX672 received a sympathetic restoration with emphasis on maintaining originality, particularly the leather seat upholstery and the wood-veneer dash, while other items were replaced or restored as required. The AC ‘six’ (CL 2356-W) was completely rebuilt and equipped with a period full-flow oil filter. The Aceca retains its original radio and features a set of five 56-spoke wire wheels finished in Argent, crowned by new AC-scripted knock-offs and mounted on a set of correct new bias-ply tires, plus the factory-optional original Moto-Lita steering wheel. The body received a bare-metal refinish, the chassis was detailed, and close inspection confirms that AEX672 was properly maintained, stored and kept dry throughout its life.
Other features include the seats and seatbelts, the original radio-speaker box and antenna, the original sun visors, original “tripod” headlamps and a properly functioning heater/de-mister. The window frames were re-chromed and new items include a windshield and Perspex rear window from England, the Perspex license-plate window, the weather stripping and window felts, a new muffler and flex-pipes, stainless-steel front and rear bumpers and more. Following completion, AEX672 was invited to numerous high-profile concours events including Amelia Island, Louisville and Meadow Brook, as well as the 2009 Glenmoor Gathering, where it earned Best in Class.
Complete with the original owner’s handbook, supporting documents and tools, AEX672 has traveled approximately 1,700 miles since restoration and is fully sorted. With strong club support and ample parts availability, it could be a welcome entry into virtually all of the most desirable vintage races, rallies and touring events worldwide, including the Monte Carlo Rally and the Mille Miglia.
Please note this car is a 1958-model year car, completed June 24, 1958, but is currently titled as a 1959-model year car.