Offered from the Dingman Collection
$80,640 USD | Sold
| Hampton, New Hampshire
- Offered from the Dingman Collection
- Handsome Canadian-built ½-ton pickup
- Powered by an 85-bhp V-8
- Older restoration that continues to present superbly
- Ideal for use on “the farm”
Ford’s light-duty trucks, redesigned in 1938, received yet another makeover for 1940. Although the wheelbase of half-ton models remained at 112 in., the cabs and front-end sheet metal were completely re-designed. The hood, fenders, and grille now resembled those of Standard model passenger cars, complete with sealed-beam headlamps, adopted by nearly all the industry. The cabs had a single-piece stamping comprising the roof, windshield pillars, and top of the cowl. The windshield was fixed, and wipers were mounted on the cowl, as opposed to the windshield header as in 1938 and ’39. Vent windows in the doors compensated for the lack of an opening windshield. Pickup boxes and rear fenders, however, carried over from the previous year.
Powerplant choices, too, carried over, the 221-cu. in., 85-hp V-8, as well as the “economy” 136-cu. in. “V8-60,” as the smaller engine was known, after its horsepower rating. Although heavier trucks adopted an open driveline, light-duty models retained the torque tube and transverse leaf spring suspension.
This handsome 1940 Ford ½-ton pickup is believed to be of Canadian manufacture, as its chassis number fits the alphanumeric pattern used by Ford of Canada to avoid lengthy serial numbers. It is painted in the familiar Acadia Green, specific to that year, and accented by Straw striping on the belt molding. “The Farm” is lettered on the doors in matching color.
Michael Dingman acquired it in September 2001 from Robert and Jane Everts of Camp Verde, Arizona. The beneficiary of a complete restoration, it presents well as a pickup truck would appear on a showroom floor, with minimal brightwork and rugged appointments. The seat is upholstered in green artificial leather, and door panels and headliner are a matching heavy-duty fiberboard. Running boards are black-painted steel, while the pickup bed has a steel floor with stamped skid rails, painted in body color. The tailgate swings down, supported by chains on each side. The spare tire is mounted on the right running board, just forward of the rear fender, and there is a door-hinge mirror on the driver’s side. The glass is all excellent and embellished with correct Ford insignia.
The engine compartment is tidy, and not over-restored. The 85-hp engine has a by-pass oil filter and correct hardware, but no other accessories. The transmission is a three-speed unit. The odometer shows slightly more than 5,500 miles, indicating modest use since restoration. Underneath the truck is spotless; tires are 6.00 × 16 polyester blackwall Firestone Deluxe Champions, and they show some age. The wheels are painted black and are fitted with chrome trim rings.
Although less sought-after than coupes and convertibles, Ford pickup trucks have a secure niche in the collector car community. This ½-ton Ford V-8 is certainly one of the best.