The Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum | Lot 622
1958 Goggomobil T-250 'Sunroof'
$63,250 USD | Sold
| Madison, Georgia
16 February 2013
Extraordinarily rare and fully restored, with desirable accessories and a sought-after sunroof.
Manufacturer: Hans Glas GmbH
Origin: Dingolfing, Bavaria, Germany
Production: 40,000 (annually)
Motor: 2-cyl., 2-stroke
Displacement: 247 cc
Power: 13.6 hp
Length: 2900 mm
Identification No. 0196154
The Goggomobil was named for the young nephew of the company president, Hans Glas, whose nickname was “Goggi.” So Goggi’s Mobil became Goggomobil. The little car was hugely successful because it was a “real” car in miniature, rather than a hybrid scooter mobile. Glas had a keen market sense and was, in hindsight, one of the few microcar manufacturers who would follow the “true path” by giving the public exactly what it wanted. The Goggomobil became the largest selling microcar in Germany, with some 260,000 examples finding buyers. It was known by its swooshing sound and for its reliability.
This example, which was fully and professionally restored, was originally fitted with a number of period accessories, including the rare front grille and exterior sunroof, and it is even more desirable because of its scarce factory sunroof. The engine bay is an extremely sanitary black, and the absolutely pristine interior has been restored with the proper period 1950s diamond-pattern black cloth with cream bolsters, which match the cream steering wheel. The exterior is a factory color called Turkisgrun, which is complemented by a cream top and matched inside on the dash. A number of features found on larger cars emphasize Glas’ desire to have his car be a true miniature, including the aluminum stone guards, chromed bumpers and bumper guards, dual windshield wipers, disc wheels with hubcaps and whitewall tires, suicide doors, an AM radio, floor mats with the winged Goggomobil logo, and sealed beam headlights with trim rings. It is, quite simply, adorable.