From the Collection of Terry Johnson
$53,000 USD | Sold
| Englewood, Colorado
- Offered from the Collection of Terry Johnson
- Over 30 years of current ownership
- A Harley Earl-era highpoint of Cadillac styling
- Black over maroon leather, tan top with maroon piping
- Equipped with fog lights
- Correct older restoration still presents well
- One of 3,100 produced
- Recognized as a CCCA Full Classic; veteran of multiple CCCA tours
With LaSalle gone for 1941, Cadillac became a one-make, one-engine division of General Motors. For the first time since 1926, all Cadillac products used the same engine: a 346-cubic-inch, L-head V-8 producing 150 hp, accompanied by a semi-floating rear axle and four-wheel hydraulic brakes.
Under the guidance of Harley Earl, styling took a significant leap forward in 1941 with a complete redesign that clearly separated the all new models from the prior generation of Cadillacs. Aesthetically, some consider 1941 the highpoint in Cadillac design—the car is a visual masterpiece of subtle, flowing curves; headlights were fully integrated into the front fenders, and a horizontal-theme grille stretched from side to side. The hood was made front-opening for the first time, and the gas tank filler was hidden in the left rear taillight, a feature that soon became a Cadillac hallmark.
Cadillac produced two convertible body styles in 1941, with the option of either a two-door Convertible Coupe or four-door Convertible Sedan, both offered as part of the Series 62 line. Today, both body styles are now cognized as Full Classics by the CCCA, on account of their limited production numbers. Equipped with a vacuum-powered convertible top, the Convertible Coupe was available only as a Deluxe model, which included rear fender skirts, wheel trim, and some other decor items.
This chassis offered here sports an older correct restoration in desirable colors. The black exterior is complemented by a high-quality tan top trimmed with maroon piping that was replaced more recently. Inside, nicely patinated maroon leather is matched to maroon carpets with chrome and patinated walnut burl trim throughout. Should one decide to return the woodgrain finish to like-new condition, correct replacement DI-NOC walnut burl dash trim is included with the sale of the car. With the exception of the bumpers, which were re-chromed during restoration, the rest of the exterior chrome trim on this car has survived remarkably well and is believed to be original.
The manual windows, Bakelite steering wheel, three-speed synchromesh manual transmission, and radio unit round out the vivid “time machine” feel of this 1941 convertible. Miles of Cadillac brightwork contrast beautifully against the black base and red trim—a statement finished off by the red-trimmed chrome “moon cap” wheels, which are presently wrapped in wide whitewall tires befitting of a period-correct appearance.
Driven on multiple CCCA tour events while accumulating over 10,000 miles in the current ownership, this example has long been a cherished part of a collection recognized as home to many of the best 1941 Cadillacs. Now, for the first time in over three decades, it can become a part of yours.