- Offered from The Belle Meade Collection
- Sold new through Ben Carco’s Bonanza AMC in North Hollywood, California
- Believed to be one of 32 California 500 Specials built for 1969
- One of 283 AMXs finished in Big Bad Green for 1969
- Current ownership purchased from wrestler, actor, and car enthusiast, John Cena
- Powered by a 315 hp, 390 cu. in. V-8 engine; Shift Command automatic transmission
- Equipped with air conditioning, power steering and brakes
- Accompanying by build order sheet, dealer invoice, owner’s manual
AMC introduced the AMX on 15 February 1968 at the Daytona International Speedway. The steel bodied, two-seater AMX was designed to appeal to sports car and muscle car buyers. It followed the time honored tradition of putting a powerful V-8 into a small, agile platform. The AMX was produced through 1970.
For 1969 AMC produced 8,293 examples of the AMX. A special series of Big Bad color options found their way into the model as a mid-year offering. They featured bright shades with body colored painted bumpers; 195 were finished in Big Bad Blue, 283 in Big Bad Green, and 284 in Big Bad Orange.
Throughout AMX production various special editions were offered. One such model was the California 500 Special, commemorating the 1969 Riverside 500 where the AMC AMX served as the pace car. The California 500 Specials were replicas of the pace cars offered exclusively by members of the Southern California American Motors Dealer Association. Each car was finished in Big Bad Green with black racing stripes. It is believed that 32 California 500 Specials were built for 1969.
This 1969 AMC AMX California 500 Special left the Kenosha, Wisconsin assembly plant finished in Big Bad Green with vinyl stripes. It was equipped with a Shift Command automatic transmission, console, power steering, tinted glass, AM radio, tilt-wheel, air conditioning, deluxe interior, Twin-Grip 3.54:1 rear axle, and front disc brakes. MSRP for the car was $4,933.31. It was sold new through Ben Carco’s Bonanza AMC in North Hollywood, California.
This AMX California 500 Special has benefitted from a complete rotisserie restoration and presents very nicely throughout. Current ownership purchased the car from wrestler, actor, and car enthusiast, John Cena. The AMX is accompanied by build order sheet, dealer invoice, and owner’s manual.