€115,500 EUR | Sold
| Karlskron, Germany
- U.S. delivery example, acquired by the consignor’s family in 1973 and exported to Germany
- Attractive black over red colour scheme
- Desirable combination of the Special Equipment package with Drophead Coupe bodywork
Adding the thrills of top-down motoring, its easy to see why the XK 140 Drophead Coupe was a popular choice for Jaguar’s clientele in the mid-1950s, especially in SE guise. As opposed to the roadster’s lightweight top and side curtains, the drophead coupe featured a bulkier convertible top, wind up windows, and a small rear seat, making it an easy choice for those looking to take their new Jaguar on longer journeys. Most importantly, the Special Equipment package added a cylinder head from the venerable C-Type, offering an additional 20 bhp for a total output of 210 bhp.
First registered in August of 1956, this Drophead Coupe was originally finished in Arbour Green paint over Suede Green upholstery and a black convertible top. Delivered new to the United States, the car spent its early life there prior to being purchased by the family of the consignor in 1973 in Akron, Ohio. Subsequently exported to Germany, the car was faithfully restored there utilizing only original and factory-correct parts. Following the completion of its restoration, the car was driven during the 1980s and 1990s in vintage car rallies around Wiesbaden and used regularly during the summer months. Kept in a heated garage alongside other Jaguars of this era, it was always well looked after with its current custodian, and is ready to be cherished and enjoyed by its next owner.