1952 Bentley Mark VI Special
Sold For €73,700Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee.
Documents: UK V5
- Originally commissioned by a noted Bentley collector
- Retains 4 1/2-Litre Bentley Mark VI engine
- Hand-crafted body finished to a very high standard
- Distinctive pre-war appearance and character, superior post-war power and reliability
- A proven driver: Completed the Endurance Rally Association’s 5,000-mile “Road to Mandalay” event in 2015
Please note that this lot will need to be collected in Chobham, U.K.
The notion of a classically styled car built on newer (and more reliable) underpinnings is an appealing one, but effectively executing the concept is not quite as straightforward as it seems. The look, feel, and commanding presence of a grand vintage automobile is tricky to pin down and difficult to re-create.
Over the years Bentley’s successful Mark VI—the first new car from Crewe to emerge following the war—has served as the basis of a number of these historical tributes. This 1952 Mark VI Special, chassis number B351NY, is one example of the genre that gets it right.
Commissioned by noted Bentley collector Charles Teall and completed in 1973, chassis number B351NY shed its factory saloon body for hand-formed tourer coachwork that effortlessly recalls the W.O. Bentley era. Mark VI running gear is largely retained, with power coming from a well-regarded 4 1/2-litre (more precisely, a 4,566-cc) inline-six. A black cloth hood and a rear-mounted spare wheel complete the look while offering protection from the elements and insurance against the challenges of the road ahead.
As is proper for a Bentley, Mr. Teall had this car built in order to drive it—and that is precisely what he and subsequent owners have done. Since its completion, the car has been entered in numerous tours and rallies; more recently, in 2015, it completed the Endurance Rally Association’s 5,000-mile “Road to Mandalay” event.
Eminently suitable for both daily enjoyment and long-distance touring, this proven 1952 Bentley Mark VI Special is offered with an additional spare wheel, two tyres, and a set of spare wings. Further, a detailed history is file included with car, including period correspondence.