€45,000 - €55,000 EUR | Not Sold
| Maranello, Italy
- Raced by Antonio Maglione in 1959 and 1960 in the Italian Junior Constructors Championships
- Accumulated six podium finishes including two victories
- Acquired by the consignor in 1973 from former Formula 1 driver Massimo Natili
- Fully restored roughly 8-10 years ago by a previous owner, has not been campaigned since
Intended as a low-cost feeder class to Formula 1 racing, Formula Junior was first introduced in Italy in 1958 and quickly spread to other European countries. Naturally, Italian manufacturers dominated the series at first with front-engined cars. Going against the grain was Gino De Sanctis, who ran a Fiat dealership in Rome with his son Lucio. Rather than build a front-engined car, De Sanctis chose to make his Formula Junior mid-engined, fitting a 1,100 cc Fiat 1100/103 engine with dual Weber carburetors and a four-speed gearbox, producing 72 bhp at 6,200 rpm. De Sanctis also utilized a tubular spaceframe chassis with coil-spring front suspension and transverse leaf-sprung swing axles at the rear.
Bearing chassis number 005, this specific De Sanctis was built in 1958 and raced by Antonio Maglione in 1959 and 1960 in the Italian Junior Constructors Championship. Piloted by him in over the course of two seasons, he managed an incredible six podium finishes and two victories, at the 1959 Gran Premio Shell and the 1960 Gran Premio Caltex respectively, and scored points in ten races.
Following the conclusion of its racing career, it was used by a driving school at Vallelunga, run by Massimo Natili a former Formula 1 driver. Natili sold the car to the consignor in 1973, and it has remained in his care ever since. The car was restored roughly 8-10 years ago and has not been campaigned following the completion of the restoration. Importantly, the car appears in Alberto Rastrelli’s book Gino & Lucio De Sanctis.
A charming example of a Formula Junior boasting a winning history, this De Sanctis would surely revel in a return to the track.