1955 OSCA MT4-2AD 1350 by Morelli

RM | Sotheby's - PARIS 2019


Chassis No.
1156
  • One of approximately 72 MT4-based examples built
  • Equipped with a 1,350-cc OSCA engine fitted in period
  • Retains original registration number
  • Eligible for a host of classic racing events, including the Mille Miglia
NO INTERNET BIDDING: Please note that Internet bidding is not available for this lot. Interested parties that are unable to attend the sale may register to bid by telephone or place a commission bid online at rmsothebys.com.

In 1937, the three remaining Maserati brothers sold their shares in the family marque but remained on to help Adolfo Orsi for the next decade. Motorsport fanatics through and through, Bindo, Ettore and Ernesto could not stay away from engineering race cars for very long – in 1947 the brothers founded O.S.C.A., short for Officine Specializzate Costruzioni Automobili and released the first MT4 – a spry lightweight tube-frame chassis with independent front suspension equipped with a Fiat 1,100-cc block.

Soon, the brothers Maserati were working to increase engine displacement, and in 1950 the MT4-2AD arrived. Equipped with a new twin cam head fitted to a proprietary block, the aluminium-block engine was originally offered in 1,100 cc before increasing to 1,340 cc. Sources report a grand total of 72 MT4s, equipped with engines of varying displacement, being produced before the company sold out to Count Domenico Agusta in 1963. Offered here is one of these incredibly rare hand-built sports racers.

As was often the case, chassis no. 1156 was delivered as a rolling chassis fitted with a MT4-2AD 1,100-cc engine to Mr Giuseppe Rossi in May 1955. Instead of hiring an expensive coachbuilder to provide a body, Rossi created his own aluminium coachwork – in this configuration, the MT4 raced throughout Italy and France with much success. In 1957, the OSCA was registered in Rome with the number ROMA 301866 – the plate it retains to this day.

By 1958, Mr. Rossi was sharing the OSCA with his friend Enzo Buzzetti. It was Buzzetti who was driving the MT4 during the 1959 Targo Florio when an accident wrote off the car’s unique body – the replacement coachwork was provided by Morelli, who had provided similar bodies for several OSCAs throughout the decade. Also, at this time, a new 1,300-cc OSCA block was fitted, allowing Rossi and Buzzetti to partake in more competitive racing.

In 1966, chassis no. 1156 competed in its final race; now equipped with a 1,500-cc Fiat engine, the OSCA handily won its class. After passing to another owner who raced the MT4 locally, the car was restored in the mid-1990s and then sold to OSCA collector Mr Nonato, along with both the 1,500-cc and 1,350-cc engines, and the original front bonnet. A full restoration was undertaken by the next owner, Tommaso Gelmini; the mechanics were overhauled by specialist Gianni Torelli, with a complete chassis and body restoration by Mario Galbiati.

Today the OSCA is fitted with the 1,350-cc engine and a period ZF gearbox, which is more reliable than the original Fiat model. In recent ownership chassis 1156 has competed at many historic races, including multiple Mille Miglias. Still a true competitor, this OSCA MT4 offers future ownership the chance to run some of the world’s greatest driving events in style.


• Un des environ 72 exemplaires construits sur base MT4

• Equipée d'un moteur OSCA 1 350 cm3 monté à l'époque

• Toujours munie de son immatriculation d'origine

• Eligible à de nombreuses épreuves de voitures d'époque, dont les Mille Miglia

Les trois frères Maserati survivants vendirent en 1937 leurs parts de la société familiale, mais ils y demeurèrent pour aider Adolfo Orsi pendant la décennie qui suivit. Toutefois, passionnés de sports mécaniques comme ils l'étaient, Bindo, Ettore et Ernesto ne purent rester longtemps à l'écart de la construction de voitures de sport. En 1947, ils fondèrent O.S.C.A. (Officine Specializzate Costruzioni Automobili) et sortirent la première MT4, un châssis tubulaire léger et dynamique à roues avant indépendantes équipé d'un bloc FIAT de 1 100 cm3.

Ils se mirent très vite au travail pour augmenter sa cylindrée, ce qui déboucha en 1950 sur la MT4-2AD. Muni d'une nouvelle culasse double arbre montée sur un bloc en aluminium de leur conception, ce moteur fut d'abord présenté en 1 100 cm3 avant de passer à 1 340 cm3. On estime à 72 le nombre total de MT4 produites avec des moteurs de différentes cylindrées, avant que l'entreprise soit vendue en 1963 au comte Domenico Agusta. C'est l'une de ces incroyables voitures de sport construites à la main qui est proposée ici.

Ainsi que cela se faisait fréquemment, le châssis n° 1 156 fut livré sous forme de châssis roulant équipé d'un MT4-2AD de 1 100 cm3 à M. Giuseppe Rossi, en mai 1955. Plutôt que de confier à un carrossier le soin de lui fournir à grands frais une carrosserie, M. Rossi créa sa propre carrosserie en aluminium et c'est dans cette définition que la MT4 courut avec succès en Italie et en France. En 1957, l'OSCA fut immatriculée à Rome sous le numéro ROMA 301866, qui figure toujours sur ses plaques.

A partir de 1958, M. Rossi partagea son OSCA avec son ami Enzo Buzzetti. C'est ce dernier qui était au volant de la MT4 lors de la Targa Florio 1959 pendant laquelle un accident anéantit la carrosserie, cet unique exemplaire. La carrosserie de rechange fut prise chez Morelli, qui en avait fourni plusieurs autres identiques à diverses OSCA pendant la décennie écoulée. Et c'est au même moment qu'on l'équipa d'un nouveau moteur OSCA de 1 300 cm3 qui permit à Rossi et Buzzetti d'être plus compétitifs.

C'est en 1966 que le châssis n° 1 156 prit part à sa dernière course ; désormais équipé d'un moteur Fiat de 1 500 cm3, il triompha haut la main dans sa catégorie. Après être passé entre les mains d'un autre propriétaire qui l'engagea dans des compétitions locales, la MT4 fut restaurée au milieu des années 1990 et fut revendue à M. Nonato, un collectionneur d'OSCA, avec ses deux moteurs, le 1 500 cm3 et le 1 350 cm3, ainsi que son capot d'origine. Son propriétaire suivant, Tommaso Gelmini, entreprit une restauration complète : la mécanique fut révisée par un spécialiste, Gianni Torelli, et le châssis et la caisse furent restaurés par Mario Galbiati.

L'OSCA est à ce jour équipée du 1 350 cm3, et d'une boîte ZF d'époque, plus fiable que la Fiat d'origine. Ce châssis 1 156 a récemment participé à de nombreuses courses de voitures d'époque, dont les Mille Miglia. Toujours compétitive, cette OSCA MT4 offrira à son futur propriétaire la possibilité de participer avec classe à certaines des plus grandes épreuves internationales.



Suggested lots

17 - 18 January 2019

Arizona

Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona

RM | SOTHEBY'S

6 February 2019

Paris

Place Vauban, Paris, France

RM | SOTHEBY'S