language

Amelia Island | Lot 147

1960 Ferrari 250 GT Coupe by Pinin Farina

{{lr.item.text}}

{{x.text}}

$720,000 USD | Sold

United States | Amelia Island, Florida

9 March 2018


Chassis No.
Engine No.
1745 GT
1745 GT
  • The finest example available today
  • Comprehensive, documented fresh restoration by Motion Products
  • Equipped with its original engine
  • Long-term ownership from 1969 to 2015
  • An exceptional 250 GT PF coupe in every regard
Please note that this lot is titled as a 1962.

The new 250 GT coupe introduced at the 1958 Paris Motor Show was a decisive step forward toward true series production for Ferrari. With this new coupe, Pinin Farina coachwork replaced the Boano- and Ellena-built cars, and 353 examples were built by the time production concluded. It was a true "gentleman's Ferrari" in every sense of the phrase, thanks to its elegant styling and luxurious interior. The new 250 GT "PF Coupe" became Ferrari's most commercially successful model.

Under the hood was Ferrari's renowned 3.0-liter Colombo V-12, producing 240 hp at 7,000 rpm and topped with three twin-choke Weber carburetors. Born and developed in the crucible of motorsport, this engine provided the coupe with a top speed just shy of 150 mph, and it could reach 60 mph in seven seconds, which is impressive for a car of its class and faster than many comparable offerings from Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Maserati.

The 291st of the 353 250 GT coupes built, the car offered here was completed by Pinin Farina on 16 March 1960 and supplied new to the first owner S.Q.V.I.B. S.p.A. of Milan later that same month. It was then sold to Franco Palma, a New Yorker then residing in Rome, who exported it to the U.S. later in the 1960s. The car was then acquired by SCCA racing driver Steve Wooley, who sold it in 1969 to Laird Jackson of Philadelphia.

Mr. Jackson loved his Ferrari, maintaining it regularly with parts from his local dealer, and retained the car for the rest of his long life; it was sold to the consignor, a longtime friend, at his passing in August 2015. Shortly thereafter the Ferrari was submitted to the renowned Motion Products, Inc., of Neenah, Wisconsin, where it was painstakingly completed to correct, original condition. The work, including some $600,000 in MPI's hands, was done precisely to the original appearance, including the striking and unusual original color scheme of Blu Lancia (Max Meyer 12069) and Connolly Grigio leather interior, as the car was delivered in 1960.

Not shown publically since its completion, the car is literally fresh from its restoration and utterly spectacular down to the tiniest detail, as one would expect from Motion Products. The work is authenticated by many hundreds of detailed restoration photographs, copies of which accompany the car, with a documented cost in excess of $958,000 to complete to this standard.

This Ferrari would undoubtedly be ready to embark on a successful and award-winning show career at the hands of its next new caretaker, who will enjoy it with the same passion as Mr. Robinson. Simply put, it is the finest 250 GT coupe available, without question.

Suggested lots