£342,500 GBP | Sold
| London, United Kingdom
- One of 706 right-hand-drive DB5s built from 1963 to 1965
- Finished in Silver with a Fawn Connolly leather interior
- Supplied new to British automotive lock manufacturer C.E. Marshall Ltd
- Single ownership from 1971 to 2011, when it was acquired by the current owner
- A rare project, requiring complete restoration to achieve concours standards
The Aston Martin DB5 has long been considered one of the world’s most seminal sports cars, owing to its 282-horsepower race-developed aluminium alloy engine, advanced chassis, and distinctive lightweight sports saloon coachwork built with Touring’s Superleggera construction technique. Further popularised by its association with the James Bond film franchise, the DB5 was the ultimate combination of beauty and brawn, a car that was no doubt specifically developed for the sporting British gentleman.
Rolling off the production line in Autumn 1963, chassis 1316/R was destined for Wolverhampton and arrived at the offices of the automotive lock manufacturer C.E. Marshall on 22 October. Finished in the elegant colour scheme of Dubonnet over Fawn Connolly leather with a White cloth headlining, this DB5 was likely owned by an executive at Marshall, and proudly sported the registration number “7667 UK”. Little is known about the history of this Aston from its delivery date to 1971, other than that it was later placed under the ownership of the F.A.G. Bearing Co. Ltd—also based in Wolverhampton.
In 1971, Patrick Davey of Banchory, Aberdeenshire, purchased chassis 1316/R, noting that the original engine had been replaced with a unit numbered “400/1643”, which it retains today. Davey frequently used his new Aston Martin, reportedly averaging 7,000 miles per annum during the 1970s taking multiple long-distance trips across the British Isles and European continent. He stored the car for a five-year period while working overseas, but upon returning, he regularly drove chassis 1316/R throughout the 1980s right up until the 1990s.
In 2011, Davey decided to part ways with his beloved DB5 and entered the car into an auction. Throughout his four decades of ownership, chassis 1316/R retained the registration “7667 UK”. At the time of the sale, the car was reported as last running in 2010, while the odometer read 75,011 miles. The current owner acquired chassis 1316/R at auction and shortly thereafter had the vehicle exported to join his private collection in Kuwait.
Today, chassis 1316/R is a project and will require a complete restoration to achieve the high standard of finish needed for concours events. If re-registered in the United Kingdom, please note the registration “7667 UK” is still linked to chassis 1316/R on the DVLA database. The odometer reads 75,014 miles at the time of cataloguing and the car is accompanied by a copy of its build sheet, jack, and hammer.
With just two owners since 1971, chassis 1316/R offers a rare chance for Aston Martin enthusiasts and collectors to acquire a UK-delivered project.