1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
Sold After Auction
Documents: Kuwait Vehicle Registration
- Fitted with factory original ‘Special Series’ Vantage engine
- The first distinct Vantage model – more than just an upgraded engine
- In storage for over a decade; an excellent restoration project
Please note that this lot will need to be collected in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Not to be confused with a standard DB4 – or even its near identical twin the DB5 – the DB4 Vantage was the very first distinct Vantage model offered from Aston Martin. Rather than just an uprated engine option, the DB4 Vantage, first announced in 1961, have distinct chassis number sequences that separate them from the standard DB4s. Interestingly, the first Aston Martin used in the filming of Goldfinger was indeed a DB4 Series 5 Vantage, with other cars being used for production and promotion of the film being DB5s.
Offered here, chassis DB4/1141/R is one of these special models. Present are the fared-in headlights with chrome surround, borrowed from the DB4GT, which signify its Vantage specification. It was possible to have a DB4 fitted with the SS engine but not be a “true” Vantage – the difference is in these headlights. According to the accompanying build sheet, the Vantage was delivered on 1 March 1963 which means it was produced during the Series 5 production run. Although many say that the Series 5 DB4s had a longer wheelbase, it was only the body that was lengthened by 9 centimetres. This gave passengers more leg room and allowed for a higher roofline and bigger boot – always essential details in a luxury vehicle such as an Aston Martin. Nearly identical to the DB5, it is the minor differences, such as missing model badges and a four speed David Brown gearbox, that separate the two models.
It is the SS – or Special Series – engine that separates the Vantage from the standard DB4 models. First seen on the DB Mark III, the Vantage engine was offered as an option on both the DB4 and the DB5. Fitted with three SU HD8 carburettors, with a higher compression ratio and larger valves, the engine was quoted as producing 266 bhp—nearly 30 bhp over the standard power plant.
Although DB4/1141/R’s history has been lost to time, a previous sale record notes that it was purchased in 1974 by the previous owner, who was known to the Aston Martin Owner Club, and brought the car to inter-marque meetings at Goodwood throughout the late 1970s. In 2004, the DB4 underwent a large restoration before being sold to the current owner in 2008.
Since its purchase, this DB4 Vantage has been in secure storage and have not been driven or moved. Now in a state which would befit a respray and a full mechanical workup, this DB4 Vantage is the perfect opportunity for any Aston enthusiast looking for a special project.