£140,000 - £180,000 GBP | Not Sold
| London, United Kingdom
- Owned and raced at the 1958 AMOC St John Horsfall meeting by Jazz and Blues legend Chris Barber
- Factory options fitted included uprated Alfin brake drums and Marchal Spot Lamps
- Lovely history file, including its original buff logbook and correspondence from Chris Barber
- Restored by Lynx Motors International
One of the most prominent members of the burgeoning 1960s British Rhythm and Blues scene, Chris Barber was responsible for helping the early careers of the likes of Lonnie Donegan and Ottilie Patterson, as well as arranging the first UK tours of American Blues giants Big Bill Broonzy and Muddy Waters.
Although later a keen Lotus owner – various racing examples of Mark IX, Elite, Elan 26R and 47 – Barber acquired LML/981 in January 1958 from its original owner, Mr R Vickery. It appears that Barber raced the car only once – in the 10-lap handicap Arthur Bryant Trophy in July 1958 – although his 4th placed finish behind the DB3S trio of Jean Bloxham, John Dalton and Graham Whitehead certainly placed him in exalted company.
The following month, Barber travelled to the German Grand Prix at the Nürburgring, collecting the then relatively unknown Jim Clark from Koln airport in the car, accompanied in both directions by his friend Colin Chapman. Indeed, it was not only motoring greatness that touched LML/981: Barber recalls one memorable trip in which he, Ottilie Patterson, jazz singer Beryl Bryden and the American Blues pairing of Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee were all somehow accommodated within the relatively modest confines of the DB 2/4 cabin.
Barber sold the car in 1962, and a succession of UK-based owners ensued until it was acquired in 1981 by a John Hamilton, who would retain the car for the next 34 years. During his ownership, Lynx Motors International restored the car, which included the fitment of a replacement cylinder block and timing cover as well as the addition of DB5 Girling front brake callipers and a complete stainless-steel twin exhaust system with tubular manifolds. This work totalled to roughly £53,400 and consisted of 1,150-man hours of exacting work. Understandably, great importance was placed on preserving the car’s original bodywork and the accumulated patina of previous decades.
Further work was completed as necessary by A.J. Barnard Engineering from 2009 to 2014. This included the fitment of a Marles steering box, four MWS 72-spoke wheels and a lead-free conversion to the cylinder head. More recently, this historic DB 2/4 has been looked after by Classic Performance Engineering and CKL Developments, maintaining its excellent mechanical condition. Further modifications implemented to allow for safe motoring include an electric cooling fan, aluminium radiator, aluminium rear axle mounting brackets and servo-assisted front brakes. Importantly, the car comes with four period-correct spare wheels and some additional spare parts, including sport lamps.
Accompanied by an extensive history file and a recent report by marque specialist Rikki Cann, this highly usable British Classic would be equally at home on the road, track or the multitude of historic rallies – such as the Mille Miglia or Tour Auto – for which it is eligible.