- Startling performance in an elegant package
- Extensive driveline and chassis upgrades
- Only 7,000 miles since restoration
- Recent work by J.D. Classics
265 bhp, 4,235 cc DOHC inline six-cylinder engine with triple SU side-draught carburettors, five-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with wishbones and coil springs, rear live axle with cantilever springs, and four-wheel power-assisted disc brakes. Wheelbase: 2,718 mm
Jaguar’s lovely and athletic mid-sized saloon first appeared as a 1956 model, and it offered several landmark features. It was Jaguar’s first unitised-construction automobile, and it introduced a 2.4-litre version of the immortal XK series twin-camshaft motor, which had heretofore been limited to sports models like the XK120, into a four-door, multi-passenger automobile. In ensuing years, ever-larger motors were installed, such as the 3.4 litre in 1957 and the 3.8 litre in 1959. The latter powerplant coincided with a revamping of the body and chassis, becoming known as the Mark 2, with the earlier cars now being identified as Mark 1s.
Mark 2s also featured larger windows and additional chrome trim. They soon became very popular amongst business executives, celebrities, and the occasional constabulary, as they offered strong performance, excellent brakes, and finely finished interiors. As such, they often appeared in film and television, and excellent examples remain much in demand today.
According to its Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust Certificate, this car was originally finished in Pearl Gray with a red interior, and it was equipped with a 3.4-litre engine. It was completed on 6 July 1961 and exported to Jaguar Cars in New York City bearing Coventry registration 9441 DU. This Mark 2’s first owner is noted as J.C. Walker, and according to the consignor, it is believed to have been originally restored and modified in the United States.
This power-packed “sleeper” is sure to delight any enthusiast who desires squashing the egos of more exalted saloon drivers. It is fitted with a powerful, high-torque Jaguar 4.2 motor with triple SU carburettors, which is rated at 265 brake horsepower at 5,400 rpm and has 283 foot-pounds of torque. It is mated to a five-speed manual transmission and a limited-slip differential, to take full advantage of its power.
This elegant super Saloon is refinished in Ebony Black with a lovely Biscuit leather interior, and it includes numerous luxury and performance upgrades, including power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering, uprated engine cooling, a modern ignition system, a stainless steel exhaust system, four-wheel disc brakes, Koni adjustable dampers, rear-wheel arches from Coombs of Guildford, 16x6-inch JD Competition chrome wire wheels, air conditioning, a Derrington wood-rimmed steering wheel, central locking, reclining seats, a security system, new seat belts, new burl wood trim, new chrome trim, and an upgraded entertainment system, which includes a Sony multi-disc CD player and a hands-free telephone.
In 2011, the car came into the ownership of a Mr Tim Johnson, who had it delivered to noted Jaguar experts at J.D. Classics in September of that year for extensive mechanical refurbishment. The work performed on the car included an engine and rear-axle overhaul, as well as an overhaul on numerous other small but critical items, resulting in invoices totalling to approximately £52,000.
Even though more than 28,000 Mark 2 Saloons were produced between 1960 and 1967, it would be difficult to find another quite like this one, as it presents handsomely, with its gleaming paint, fresh interior, and Jaguar’s reliable and largest XK motor under the louvered bonnet. With only 7,000 miles recorded since its restoration, this comfortable, fast, and very usable Jaguar is capable of showing its heels to many modern saloons and sports cars alike.