- Single ownership from new
- One of 24 total RHD XK150 S 3.8 Roadsters produced
- Very well documented, includes original invoices and a guarantee from Jaguar
- Original, unrestored example
265 bhp, 3,781 cc DOHC straight-six engine with triple SU carburettors , four-speed synchromesh gearbox with overdrive, independent front suspension with wishbones, coil springs, torsion bars, and anti-roll bar, rigid rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 2,591 mm
Introduced in 1957, the XK150 presented a plethora of changes from lessons learned by Jaguars engineers who made the XK120 and XK140 models. Jaguar offered their new car as a fixed head coupé and drophead coupé when production began, but the most desirable body style, the roadster, wouldn’t enter production until 1958. By the time the XK150 hit showroom floors, it was clear that Jaguar had a fantastic automobile on their hands, one that was full of British charm and sophistication.
Distinguishing an XK150 from its forefathers is easy, as the designers worked to mould its body into a more conservative and subtle shape. The XK140’s sensual lines were smoothed out and Jaguar widened the car’s bonnet, enlarged the front grille, and fitted a single-pieced curved windshield, all adding to its updated and elegant appearance. As the last car in a line that started with the fabled XK120, Jaguar’s newest design was considered by many to be the most liveable car in the entire series. Jaguar made door panels slightly thinner, in order to give more interior space, and the walnut dashboard of the XK140 was refinished in leather.
The darling of the XK150 line was undoubtedly the 3.8 S Roadster. Powered by a 3.8-litre version of Jaguar’s dual overhead camshaft straight-six, this engine put out a remarkable 265 horsepower, which powered the Roadster to a top speed of over 135 mph. Jaguar also fitted it with four-wheel disc brakes, a first for any production car, ensuring that any driver could quickly bring the most powerful iteration of the XK150 to a stop. Equipped as such, these were undoubtedly fantastic cars to drive with the top down through the English countryside.
This remarkably original Jaguar 3.8 S Roadster offered today from single ownership was delivered new in Cotswold Blue and with dark blue leather interior and a black soft top. Most notably, this is a rare right-hand drive model, one of only 24 right-hand drive XK150 S 3.8 Roadsters ever built for the United Kingdom. Sold new to a J G Sowray, resident of Huntingdon, York, this car comes to us today directly from Mr Sowray’s niece, who inherited the car last year. Documentation shows that he purchased the car new from Appleyard Jaguar, in Leeds, after trading in a 1955 Austin Healey 100 for the sum of £550. The car still wears its original license plate and has travelled 45,000 miles since new. This car is incredibly well documented and is accompanied by detailed service receipts; its original build sheets, sales invoice, and sales guarantee from Jaguar, which is dated 1960; registration documentation; and its original Jaguar toolkit.
Offered in original, unrestored condition, with only 45,000 miles on its odometer, this Roadster represents an extremely rare opportunity to become the second owner of a remarkably original Jaguar. When considering its specifications, including the largest engine fitted to any XK150 and being in rare, right-hand drive configuration, this would be a welcome addition to any Jaguar collection. It’s only fitting that a car such as this should be offered at Battersea Evolution today, as it is a distinctly British automobile that is being offered for sale for the first time since new in its home market.