- Restored in the 1980s; completed in 1989
- Finished in Pastel Blue over two-tone blue and grey leather
- Shown at numerous JCNA events in the Midwest from 1989 to 1991
- First Place in the Jaguar Class at the 1991 Chicago International Concours d’Elegance
- Purchased by Mr. Haas in December 1993
Given the Jaguar XK 120’s status as a true automotive icon, it is surprising to many that the model was originally conceived and born as a limited-edition stopgap model. William Lyons assumed that the post-WWII fortune of his company, the recently re-named Jaguar Cars Ltd., would be made on saloon cars that would sell in export markets, especially the United States. To that end, the new dual-overhead-cam, six-cylinder, 160-horsepower XK engine was developed to power a new line of sports luxury four-door sedans. As the new car was not yet ready for the 1948 Earls Court Motor Show, it was decided that the engine would be launched in a limited-run roadster before becoming a regular offering. That roadster, of course, was to be known as the XK 120—so named for its top speed of 120 mph.
After proving itself on race and endurance courses around the world, the XK engine would become the mainstay of all future Jaguar products over the next six decades. The 160-horsepower 3.4-liter inline-six-cylinder engine was standard for the XK 120; also available was the 180-horsepower XK 120 SE (“Special Equipment”) specification. In addition to a C-Type cylinder head, the SE was fitted with wire wheels, upgraded suspension, and dual exhaust.
This 1954 Jaguar XK 120 SE Roadster left the factory on 28 January 1954 finished in Pastel Blue with a Blue interior and a French Grey top. A left-hand-drive example destined for North America, it was delivered to noted European importer Hoffman of New York. It is believed to have been sold new in Los Angeles, eventually finding its way to Norfolk, Virginia by about 1958. By 1961 the car was off the road and in need of repair. On 22 January 1982, the car was purchased by Russell C. Steiner and moved from Norfolk, Virginia to Chicago, Illinois. In 1984 a restoration was undertaken, with mechanical work completed by the owner, Russell Steiner, and bodywork and chassis work completed by JK Restorations of Oswego, Illinois. Following completion in July of 1989, the car was shown throughout the Midwest at JCNA events, and in June of 1991, the car took home First Place in the Jaguar Class at the Chicago International Concours d’Elegance.
In December of 1993, the Jaguar was purchased by Mr. Haas. Since acquisition the car has been sparingly driven and stored in a climate-controlled facility. The car is accompanied by a tonneau cover, tool roll, and knock-off hammer. Documentation with the car includes a 1987 Jaguar Vehicle Information Sheet, a short car history document from the prior owner, and a 2022 Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust certificate.
Please note, this Jaguar’s frame stamp exhibits chassis number S 675322, while the chassis plate located in the engine bay is stamped chassis number S 674797 (it is titled by this number). As recently as 2014, a Jaguar in Europe was claiming to be chassis number S 674797 (again, this Jaguar on offer exhibits this chassis number stamped on its chassis plate and is also titled by this number).