$34,100 USD | Sold
| Hershey, Pennsylvania
- Among the finest of the post-war Packard models
- Equipped with the legendarily smooth nine-main-bearing 356 cu. in. straight-eight; three-speed transmission with overdrive
- Finished in Atlantic Blue Metallic over a striking dark blue cloth interior with light beige piping
- Wears a very nicely maintained older restoration; details include beautiful woodgrain interior, exterior accessory fog lights, and a stylized Art Deco “Goddess of Speed” hood ornament
- A CCCA Full Classic well-suited to both display and touring
Having admirably served the Allied effort during World War II with its precision-built engines, Packard was eager to return to civilian automobile production by 1945. The 1946 Packards were effectively 1941 models with modest changes to the trim—a logical maneuver, as production of the freshly designed car had been abruptly curtailed due to the war. Built in 1946 and 1947, these “21st Series” (per Packard’s model designation system) cars were imposing yet elegant, with flowing styling, integrated fenders, and delightful Art Deco touches both inside and out.
At the pinnacle of the 21st Series hierarchy was the Custom Super Clipper Eight, which was powered by a 165-horsepower 356-cubic-inch straight-eight. Nine main bearings ensured superlative smoothness from this expertly engineered powerplant, while a three-speed manual transmission with overdrive gave it long legs for high-speed cruising. These top-of-the-line cars benefitted from a richly appointed interior complete with wool upholstery, “Mosstread” carpet, and beautiful woodgrained trim.
In total, 5,690 standard-wheelbase Custom Super Clippers were built for 1947, a figure that includes both Touring and Club Sedans. This represented a small fraction of Packard’s overall annual production, making these special cars uncommon when new and sought-after today. Thanks to their elegance, rarity, and quality, the model is now recognized as Full Classics by the Classic Car Club of America—one of relatively few most-war automobiles to have earned this distinction.
This Custom Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan is a fine example of Packard’s best for 1947. Having passed through three Texan owners from 1961–2010, it left the Lone Star State in 2011 for Pennsylvania; in 2019, it was acquired by an enthusiast in Ohio. Restored approximately two decades ago, it wears a dazzling coat of Atlantic Blue Metallic paint over blue upholstery with light beige pinstriping. Interior details—including the woodgrain trim, dual heaters, and the distinctive Custom headliner, which used seams that ran front-to-back rather than side-to-side—are present; the clock has been upgraded to quartz, and the radio to AM/FM. The exterior is complete with an Art Deco interpretation of the “Goddess of Speed” hood mascot, accessory fog lights, and bumper guards. Chromed wheel covers with cloisonné centers are paired with Diamondback radial whitewall tires, an ideal choice for confident driving.
Having benefitted from over $40,000 of mechanical work completed in 2014, documented by receipts on file, the Packard has benefitted from ongoing maintenance under the care of its present owner. This included a rebuilt starter motor, generator, mechanical fuel pump, and carburetor. Additionally, the car has an electric fuel pump, and all gauges are operable. Fluids have been changed yearly, with only Classic Car Motor Oil used for the engine.
A CCCA Full Classic, this distinguished and well-presented Custom Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan is ideal for club activities, exhibition, and supremely comfortable touring in style.